Drifted for 8 hours - Pensacola Pass, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Crack bottle" DMBs are not widely available in North America, but consist of a DSMB with its own small cylinder which contains only enough air to inflate the DSMB. Usually they're around 1 cf or so, and are set up with a reverse yoke valve (like the yoke on a regulator rather than the usual cylinder valve), so that they can be filled easily from an ordinary dive cylinder. The DSMB then has the mating fitting, the one similar to what we usually think of as the cylinder valve. Anyway, the idea is that you barely open (crack) the valve on these, to inflate them slowly, for launching.

They are heavier and bulkier but are supposed to be easier to launch.

Hi DD,

You are imparting some good advice, along with others--THX!

What is a "pre-rigged crack bottle DSMB"?

:cheers:
markm

Thanks Mark.

I am a bit of a current connoisseur so my views are "biased in that respect"

While a picture is worth 1000 words, I don't have one and my gear is packed for tomorrow

My dsmb is the AP dsmb with inflation cylinder The cylinder comes in either yoke or Din so you refill it from your main cylinder before a dive. It holds 0.1 litre rated to 232bar (0.8 cf) There is enough air to fully inflate it at the surface and still have the OPV dump. When opened underwater teh bottle inflates all the way up and the OPV deals with any excess. They are always fully inflated at the surface, and are rigid enough to hold the dsmb above yoru head holding just the cylinder

Mine is coupled to an Apex lifeline spool. I have various sizes

How I pre-rig:

My dsmb, is semi permanently attached to the spool with a carabiner (so I can swop spools and dsmbs etc) Also attached to the dsmb is a loop of bungee which goes over the spool preventing the line unwinding. You can shake the dsmb hard and the spool will not unwind

The spool and dsmb also have a "safety" bolt snap between them to keep them together when I roll into the water. The dsmb lives in a pocket on my waist belt.

If I need to deploy in a hurry then the basic method it this:

Pull out the dsmb and spool together, unclip the spool from the bolt snap which stays on the dsmb.

Rip off the dsmb velcro strap and give it a quick shake, I'll be holding the cylinder valve in my right hand. At the same time pull the spool away from the dsmb, the bungee pulls itself off and the spool gives my some line. a quick 1/4 of the wrist is all that's needed to crack the valve open, and the dsmb is on its way up.

I can (and have) done this being tossed around in a washing machine current, it is very fast. Because of its "power" it can punch through most currents on the way to the surface - I have seen it go downwards a little in a down current before buoyancy won - slower ascending dsmb's can be taken more horizontally on their way up

The downsides: The dsmb is expensive (£144 or $182USD) . Mine last 5 years, the inner liner of the dsmb which seals the main material degrades in our heat and UV. The crack bottle gets abuse obv as it fully empties and does get water inside. I do wash it, but bin it rather than hydro it.

They are "heavy" and bulky. Even though its expensive, I find it an excellent bit of kit and good value for me. My first one had 600 launches before I replaced it. That sadi if I'm on vacation and "easy diving" I just take a normal 6' dsmb - teh same design but without the crack bottle, it has a wide enough nech to easily get a reg into without hassle

I'm also a big fan of the Apex spools, I find them well engineered and efficient to use, they're also compact given the amount of line - I have 6 of them split evenly between the 45m and 60m. I've used derilin and find these way better - but again there is a cost (although I don't pay the advertised price) But everyone will have differing opinions.

Other people might decide that $250 is way too much and that fine. But I've been very thankful for my spool and dsmb in times of "difficulty", it comes under the "cold dead hands" heading for me

I drift and dive in FLorida a bit... After my first trip there, I made a decision to utilize a good reel with a bunch of line and large SMB.... I often ascend w/o the DM or my divebuddy, I roll with a Manta and 8' Carter. It has taken a bit to get used to, and I have to be totally devoid of all buoyancy or it will rip you to the surface if you are not prepared. The visibility is greatness when the seas are rolling. Never leave the boat without it.

I drift dive regularly out of W. Palm and Riviera Beach, and it's not unusual to become separated from group and same ocean buddy lobstering or spearfishing, or just flat out drifting. I usually launch my dsmb attached to my reel around 60' before ascent, so the dive boat can spot my dsmb and keep an eye on it while I ascend and do a safety stop. A diver can drift a long way in current in 4 minutes. I think it's not a very smart idea to not launch DSMB early if you are basically solo.

Back
Top Bottom