Unable to pick up dive. Disappointment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you can't dive like a tourist diver. So what? Dive like an Alaskan:

Walk into any dive shop at one of your cruise ship's ports of calls, gear in hand, and be committed to diving. Have your crap together, look like you know what you're doing and that you can handle yourself in cold water, then ask them for a couple tanks and a site recommendation. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help you out. I imagine you'll even be able to get them to give you detailed directions to a favorite dive site, and a hand sketched underwater map so that you'll be more comfy without a guide.

If you're friendly, relaxed and act like a visitor (not a tourist, big difference), they might even "know a guy" who's going diving today, or would for a 6-pack. You're just trying to be too formal, relax, it's Alaska =)

Good luck!

-Brandon.

I live in Ketchikan so Wind & Water is my LDS. I was pretty sure the owners have taken individuals out in the past, though I could be mistaken. akscubainst is correct though, it's a mom and pop shop run by a husband and wife, so they just might not have the time on the day you're going to be in town. I know I tagged along once on a dive one of the owners did last summer with one of the female crew off one of the cruise ships that are in every summer. Did you call them or contact them by email? I know they have a group of divemasters that sometimes will lead group dives, and maybe they'd be able to hook you up with one of them if they aren't busy with their day jobs.

As long as you're drysuit certified, they will rent you gear. When are you going to be in town? If I'm not working, I might even be able to take you to one of the spots (but I'm not a divemaster). Although I dive out of a very small car, so more than 2 pairs of gear probably wouldn't fit!

BTW, the snorkel tour does their trip at Mountain Point, which is also an excellent shore dive. There's a fairly large wall out there with quite a bit of life on it.

akscubainst,
I should have been clearer in my first post, I do understand the business issues and appreciated you providing contact info for Ketchikan. Land fall in Juneau was too short for anything but a canned dive...

As it was I snorkled dry in Ketchikan and the water was a pleasant 46 F. The tide was perfect exposing lots of sealife!

I hadn't considered Victoria for diving due to the lateness of our arrival, rather I took the wife whale watching only to find a drift diving site that I'm planning a fall trip to experience.

Cheers

Bradon,
I appreciate the relax and dive attitude... gotta match that against the cruise ship's hurry up and wait, and don't dare miss the boat which doesn't mesh well with pickup dives!

Next time I'll just add my rebreather to the mix and jump off the backend of the boat :wink:

Cheers

Last edited:
If you're at the dock, jumping off the ship isn't a bad idea, just watch out for the props! :wink:

I've dove off the cruise ship docks a few times, when no ships were in of course. Not a bad spot, there's some cool junk down there you can find (so far no lost jewelry or watches from one of the several jewelry stores we have downtown :( )

Brian

Back
Top Bottom