Ultralight vs off brand clamps and arms.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm here because I ve just had 3 clamp failures over one year (don't know the band but they were like 20usd each roughly, different brands bought at different times). I'm definitely buying ultralight now, hoping I can find them in Hong Kong...

I'm here because I ve just had 3 clamp failures over one year (don't know the band but they were like 20usd each roughly, different brands bought at different times). I'm definitely buying ultralight now, hoping I can find them in Hong Kong...
How did they fail? Did the threads strip, bolt break, aluminum clamp break?

How did they fail? Did the threads strip, bolt break, aluminum clamp break?

The screw mechanism get stuck, so impossible to loosen it anymore unless you force. And when you force the metal breaks... Tried to put grease, coke, etc., the screw would not move at all.

Thanks for the replies. I can't see what would make a $30 clamp any better than a $5 clamp, they all have the same profile and made out of the same material.
That's a major assumption that they are all the same material after aluminium's aluminium right? Using the right alloy is important to balance between strength and corrosion resistance, the high strength alloys are generally less resistance to corrosion. Then there's the anodizing treatment, not all anodizing is created equal, the depth of the oxide coat generated varies with treatment time and that is what leads to long life. Proper hard anodizing will help resist being scratched off by the sand and other particles that get caught up on the clamps and slowly bub off the anodizing. Keeping the surface of the clamps smooth helps with easy motion of the clamps on the o-rings. Then there's the quality of the stainless steel fasteners used, which can be quite variable - I won't buy cheap chinese made stainless screws after bad experiences with them.

Then there's the quality of the stainless steel fasteners used, which can be quite variable - I won't buy cheap chinese made stainless screws after bad experiences with them.

I have purchased eight double clamps and two triple clamps from China via Aliexpress. Two of the double clamps turned out to be junk with screws that weren't even stainless - they rusted immediately upon exposure to salt water. All the others are absolutely fine.

Yeah, it's a lottery, you don't know what you're getting till it arrives. I've bought all Nauticam clamps and am happy with them and If I recommend them to someone I know they can order them and get the same item of the same quality.

I have (lower-cost) D&D clamps, several D&D arms plus two UCLS clamps (long version, very useful) and use them for three years now (maybe 70-80 dives/year).

No clamp or arm broke so far, all still intact. After about one year, however, the clamps did not hold strongly any more, at least on the surface, but also below the surface sometimes, especially when used with the longest arms, the D&D clamps are too loose and unstable, even when closed with maximum force...

I disassembled all clamps, cleaned in the ultrasonic bath that I use also for regulator service, greased the screws and assembled again - only little improvement...

Then I disassembled and greased all ball O-rings (black ones, that became a little hard over time) - only little improvement...

Finally I replaced the black ball O-rings with blue Nauticam O-rings (that are softer than the black ones) - only little improvement...

I can, however, see a difference between the D&D and UCLS clamps - the UCLS clamps (long version) hold stronger...

=> I would be willing to replace all clamps and arms by better versions - in case such fabricates exist (UCLS?).
=> In another forum's tread the Sea&Sea clamps were recommended - has someone any experience with them, are they really better (better than UCLS?)? SEA&SEA| THE UNDERWATER IMAGING COMPANY..

It turns out, as quite often, that buying cheap means buying twice and hence, is expensive:(

Wolfgang

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom