Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry if this was discussed already.

So I assembled my ultima soft rings for the first time today. Not for my use, I went to the rolocks. The utimas were assembled for a guy that collects golf balls for use as an independent glove system while wearing a wetsuit.

Anyway, while I was assembling the utimas with 720s, I used the liner side of the glove against the rings with the o rings stretched over the coated side of the glove.

Not sure if this was assembled correctly, but I am curious, if the installation will leak since the coated side of the glove was not against the ring. Seems like the liner would wick some water from the outside past the oring.

Does this in fact happen or does it still stay water tight?

Thanks.

The utimas were assembled for a guy that collects golf balls for use as an independent glove system while wearing a wetsuit.

Not sure if this was assembled correctly, but I am curious, if the installation will leak since the coated side of the glove was not against the ring. Seems like the liner would wick some water from the outside past the oring.

I guess I should have doubled over the glove underneath the oring.

I don't think it matters if your friend is using this on a wetsuit, unless that was stated in error. For a drysuit, experiences may vary but the general recommendation is to fold the glove cuff over the o-ring and install on the Ultima DGS rings so that the smooth outer surface of the glove is in contact with the ring to help ensure a watertight seal. It is more challenging to mount gloves this way as both the o-ring and the glove need to be concurrently stretched over the glove-side ring but with some perseverance, some umph, and a little bit of techinique getting them on this way is doable and becomes easier as one figures out a technique that works for them.

-Z

And done ! Pretty easy to ge the ultima ring and silicone seal into the suit ring, just did it the same way as in seajay’s video, not sure about getting them apart in the field.

It’s getting cold here, so the dives are getting a little farther spread apart. This is on the left as I just replaced the seal on the right. I’ll dive it and post up, If it works out I’ll change out the right.

E58C5EBE-9F4D-468F-91FB-E6343BEF7857.jpeg

Good-looking installation!

When will you know if it's watertight?

Good question, really depends on the weather. As I look at both sleeves, this one certainly looks better than the other mounted in the latex seal, and it’s feels more compact as well, which is a good thing.

Next project is bmcl ‘s for my prism. Hoping they come b4 xmas. Merry Christmas to me !

Yes, one of the guys is wearing a 7mm wetsuit. The other is using a drysuit.

Installation with the liner against the ring, definitely allowed water to be wicked into the glove.

I am now attempting to double over the 720s so that both the ring and oring are against the smooth side of the glove.

As previously noted, this is not easy.

I called Showa on Tuesday and the gloves showed up today, awesome!! Now I have to get my rings LOL I didn't expect the gloves to get here that fast.

The weather here today was amazing, 45 and sunny. So I had to get in the water. 75 minutes and water temp was consistent 43.

My fusion/sitech oval/ultima project was perfect. Dry, gloves attached easily, comfortable.
The 282’s were so comfortable, soft and fuzzy, with a thin liner. Warm the hole time.

Thanks seajay for the inspiration. I’ll keep the 282’s going for now, and post up after a few more dives.

Reactions: Zef
I had a thought today, I have a set of the new santi heated gloves sitting in a box. I have never used them since they are pretty thick and wouldn’t fit inside my dry gloves. But now that I have some confidence in my setup, fusion-sitech-ultima. I decided to wire them up. So I cut off the proprietary plug and soldered in a xt60 plug that works with the rest of my heated gear. And they heated up nice. The next step is put put a set of 281’s on my spare rings. That will only take a minute. And they are plenty big enough to fit the santi gloves. Maybe even a little less bulky than the 282’s and my thin liner. The santi gloves would never of worked with the 620, 660, or 720. I’m looking forward to getting them in the water. My heated liners are highly modified and can be problematic at times. And near the end of there life. So I’m hoping this may be a better solution.

Back
Top Bottom