Uk Sl6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ratso

Reaction score
Hello

I am not a diver, I am just thinking about buying a good light, so I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the UK SL6, or anything similar.

Thanks
-Brian

Are very good lights in my opinion....

Solid construction, lots of light output, and long battery life. As far as a basic light or a diver's back up light, either is a good choice.

Ditto to Mike's comment. I have an SL6 that I use as a primary (all Caribbean diving) and it works very well.

I don't know about your intended use of the light if not for diving, but I know that some dive lights are not to be used out of water because it will burn out the bulb much faster. Some need the water to dicipate the heat produced from the lamp.

I am planning to use it as a outdoor/camp light. I want a bright upgrade to my maglite that is not any bigger but brighter. I don't think that out of water use should have any effects on the SL4/SL6 or any similar lights. Probably something to take note of on HID llights?

Do you think the SL6 is worth 10 more $ in brightness? I dont mind extra weight or size.

Anyways I have a UK 2AAA pocket light which I am extremely happy with. Its brighter than a 2AA maglite and is very durable. Got it free with a watch at www.beaconww.com (great prices!)

I use the sl4 as a backup light at night and as a primary during the day for under ledges, etc. I do not notice much difference in brightness between the sl4 and sl6, but the sl6 will go longer on it's 6 batteries than the sl4 will.
When diving I appreciate the difference in size quite a bit, but for camping and such you might appreciate the longer burn time too.

Stick to your Maglite if you are not intending touse the torch in the water - you will be for ever replacing burnt out bulbs!! I found out the hard way!

How about a headlamp? Check out a Petzl Tikka for an *awesome* camping lamp. It's very very light, uses white LED's for a nice soft light, and the 3 AAA batteries last for dozens of hours.

Another good choice for something even brighter is the Princeton Tec Solo.. it comes with a nice bright halogen bulb.

The Tikka is less than $35, and the Solo is around $25

The SL6 is a very nice light, but check out the bulb prices, they are some of the highest. The Princeton Tec 6 cell light works just as well but the bulbs are much cheaper and smaller to pack.

Ralph

Definately go with a headlamp for camping. I can tell you from a TON of experience, headlamps are way better for what you want to do. I used to use maglights on all of our camping trips until I tried out a headlamp on a mountaineering expedition I went on several years ago. I'll never hold a light again! I like and use the Petzel Duo. It has 2 lights on it...a low beam for close work, perfect for in the tent, and low battery consumption and a high halogen beam for long shots-looking for trails, suitable firewood, etc., but uses more battery life.

Take a serious look at healamps before you make your decision, I wish I hadn't spent all that money on handheld lights over the years.

Good Luck
-Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom