Uk Sl6 / Sl4 Led Comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldschool

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm in the market for a new backup light. I had a UK SL6 and loved it. I lent it out and it was lost. I've been reading about the UK SL4 LED. Has anyone out there dived with both of them and can tell me which one provides the most light?

6 cells will always put out more than 4. I use the LED version of the SL4 and love it. In Bonaire, I used it during my night dive about as much if not more than my C8 eLED just because I didn't need all the C8 offered.

2651037126_bd16d56249.jpg

why don't you tell me which one you think is brighter.

The SL4 pictured is not UK's Emitter; it is a homebrew that is really easy to make and it works in both the SL4 and SL6. if you want I can tell you how to make one.

Note: the picture just compares the hot spots and does not show that the SL4 also has much more spill light than the SL6.

DealExtreme: $10.14 3V~18V Input 3W Cree Drop-in Module (supports Surefire 6P)

There is the link to the emitter you need. after you get one of those you need a small piece of I believe 1" ID AL tubing that has a wall thickness of 1/4" giving it a 1.5" OD. in other words, either 1" ID or 1.5" OD aluminum tubing with a 1/4" wall. you then need to cut it so that it is as tall as the widest part of the reflector that came with the light; I think its somewhere around a 1/2". the final step is to squeeze it together in a vice, make sure you separate the reflector from the rest of the module before doing this. when you put it in your light make sure you put the batteries in backwards. the first set you need to put + side in first and the second set - side first so that when all of them are in there the + side of the battery is sticking out. I'll take some pictures of the process tomorrow, but this is what the finished product should look like.

2651020657_656700b834.jpg

NOTE: the batteries in the SL6 are also in backwards because it has also been upgraded and I didn't feel like taking batteries out for photos.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3278/2651020657_656700b834.jpg?v=0

marchand,

That's very cool. Why did you use the clamp in vise method rathere than glueing them together with thermal epoxy? That would help to take advantage of the extra aluminum for th heatsink.

I've been looking for a way to upgrade my backup, and you've given me an excellent idea, thanks!

Jake

Very nice simple mod I just ordered one.

Thanks
JT

DealExtreme: $10.14 3V~18V Input 3W Cree Drop-in Module (supports Surefire 6P)

There is the link to the emitter you need. after you get one of those you need a small piece of I believe 1" ID AL tubing that has a wall thickness of 1/4" giving it a 1.5" OD. in other words, either 1" ID or 1.5" OD aluminum tubing with a 1/4" wall. you then need to cut it so that it is as tall as the widest part of the reflector that came with the light; I think its somewhere around a 1/2". the final step is to squeeze it together in a vice, make sure you separate the reflector from the rest of the module before doing this. when you put it in your light make sure you put the batteries in backwards. the first set you need to put + side in first and the second set - side first so that when all of them are in there the + side of the battery is sticking out. I'll take some pictures of the process tomorrow, but this is what the finished product should look like.

2651020657_656700b834.jpg

NOTE: the batteries in the SL6 are also in backwards because it has also been upgraded and I didn't feel like taking batteries out for photos.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3278/2651020657_656700b834.jpg?v=0

marchand,

That's very cool. Why did you use the clamp in vise method rathere than glueing them together with thermal epoxy? That would help to take advantage of the extra aluminum for th heatsink.

I've been looking for a way to upgrade my backup, and you've given me an excellent idea, thanks!

Jake

I did it that way because the diameter of the reflector is slightly larger that 1" and the inside of the tubing was slightly smaller than 1", so in order to get the "ring" on the reflector I had to stick them in a vice and push them into one another which lead to a very nice snug fit that I wouldn't ever want to try to take apart.

Unfortunately I did not have time to make another one today, so no pictures for a while, maybe the week after next. The good news is I'm almost finished with another reel! It works how it is, but it is still in the prototype stage..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom