UK light cannon 100 HID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

racedude1984

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
well I dropped my light cannon 100 HID professional and now when I turn it on the light will flicker the tiniest bit and can hear it kind of click. It won't turn on I think the bulb is now shot. is there a place to get a replacment bulb for cheap?

There are no cheap bulbs that I know of (if that is indeed the problem). They are just under $100.

My experience is that if the ballast 'clicks' and the bulb does not fire up, then the bulb is probably dead. Had a buddy drop his bulb last week from about 2 ft to a wood floor and that killed it.

You can look to Welch Allyn for a replacement bulb (M10N001-1) that fits the UK 100.
A bit cheaper but the shipping eats into the cost savings.

I would think that a bad bulb would do nothing when turned on. I'm sure these bulbs are a bit more complex than the normal household bulbs I am used to.

When I thougt my bulb went bad (ended up being a problem with the switch) I remeber finding them below $80, don't remeber where though. Scubatoys has them for $96 plus you ge a 10% Scubaboard discount, no tax and free shipping over $50.

When my bulb goes I'm thinking about going for the UK Aguasun which uses two led's (shouldn't ever burn out) and has twice the light output of the Light Cannon...approximately 800 lumens vs 400 lumens.

It's around $300 including the rechargeable battery pack. Buying a new bulb for the Light Cannon is a cheaper solution however.:wink:

HID bulbs are like miniature fluorescent lamps or UV curing lamps, where they fire the two electrode ends to excite the mercury into plasma (where you get the insane bright light), so if there is a crack in the quarts glass and air gets in or mercury leaks out, it can still "fire" as it is trying to light the gas, but no plasma, so that may be the little spark you are seeing.

Get the Darkbuster 24watt HID - same price, better features, (a little higher, actually on Scubatoys), but at 1750 lumens, its over 4 times brighter, and I hear it has a more robust bulb (mine is still good).

Back
Top Bottom