UK Diving Spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rosie

Registered
Reaction score
OK, so IF (and it's a big IF) I decide to take the plunge and brave the cold and murky UK waters, where does everyone think is the best place to start? Bearing in mind that I am a novice anyway..

cheers
Rosie

You are welcome to join me at Leybourne Lakes near Maidstone in Kent. Nothing over exciting but an easy place to get to from Essex.
I tend to be there about once or twice a month at the moment. Or could make it a special trip if you like.
Why don't you suggest it as a venue for one of our UK events...
Depth about 9 metres, viz up to 4 on a really good day - try to miss weekends!

Swanage is great for a first UK bimble in the sea. An easy shore dive under the legs of the pier, with plenty of life.. easy parking, great food and plenty of beer just a strole away too.
Depth about 8 metres and great viz on the right day/tide.

Went to Leybourne once - it was January and full of weed so what's it like in the summer?

Another inland site down south is Wraysbury (Jn 13 of M25) but I would suggest getting in the salty stuff and Weymouth is good for that - usually calm (ish) inside the harbour wall and there are some good spots for novice and more experienced divers to hide from the elements.

Go on! You know you want to!!

Jonathan

selsea is great only an hour from london nite life could be better but the diving makes up for that
i dived the whirl pool hole on sunday and had 20m+viz
thats right over 20 meters viz in the uk was at 24 m deep and it was 18 degrees
we saw all forms of life from tope sharks to dog fish crabs ,lobsters ,congars loads of difrent fish rays and a snake which im curently trying to find out a bit more about as i didnt know we had sea snakes here any one else seen one ?
the diving is good for the novice to the expert as a lot of the area is shallow 3-10 m but theres plenty of holes that go in to the 30-40 meter range
and my ribs there so drop me a line if you want a gide and a free rib dive

Leybourne.. I've never had a problem with weed Jonathan. Either winter or summer. Maybe I'll be corrected this Friday!

I agree about Weymouth/Portland. There should always we somewhere to find a dive if the weather decides to get rough.

Weed and snakes?!?

Not for a fair water diver like me... thanks for the offers, though. Sadly, I just can't see where I'm going to get the time before the weather closes in (have we had a summer at all?). I've got no holiday time to speak of left this year, boo hoo and I'm due to re-start my part-time degree next month, so I'll be up to my eyeballs in law-books until Christmas. Maybe I'll buy a thick wetsuit at LIDS 2003 for next summer...

cheers
Rosie

You'll all notice my lack of memory at some point so I may as well point it out.

Rosie - I may have already asked - but where abouts in Essex are you? :D

Hi Scubababy

No, you haven't asked before. I'm in a sleepy little village near Chelmsford. How about you?

cheers
Rosie

Slowly getting my UK dive count up. I went for a dive at Wraysbury last night. Two LARGE pike. One in the bus, one in a van (he gave me a shock when I poked my head in).

Water was a pleasant 21deg and viz was OK, though I'm sure anyone behind us would disagree:wink:

ahh wraaysbury did my open water training dives there when the water temp was 2 degres in a wet suit :eek:
ive also been diving there with 2 inches of ice on the surface
but have never done an night dive
you should try stony cove for inland dives
what part of the uk are you from nickjb ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom