UK D4R vs. C8R?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Overboard

Registered
Reaction score
OK, narrowing my pick down to two choices. The C8R supposedly puts out more watts and has a slightly longer burn time, but the D4R has a wider lamp/lense.

Which would you recommend, the D4R or the C8R. This is for a trip to Palau first and then mostly Carribean dives. No tech stuff.

Thanks for all the advice!

Mark

Have you investigated the pros/cons of buying the alkaline versions of these lights, and buying your own NiMH batteries/charger? You just need to check the voltage of the bulb. Some of the newer 8000mAh D cells might pack more punch than the supplied batteries in the D4R for example (just guessing).

It was worth it with the Princeton Tec Shockwave when I used handheld lights to go through this exercise - a "rechargeable" Shockwave cost me $100 at the time versus $140 for the official rechargeable version.

Also, if one of the two lights has a tighter hotspot, you'll probably get more enjoyment from it, especially on daylight dives. Flood beams are wasted during daylight, whereas a spot will allow you to see *deep* down in nooks and crannies.

Thanks for the idea Scubaroo!

I have not looked into this yet as I am not much of a technical wiz. Is it as simple as buying rechargeable D size batteries with a compatible charger? I looked at Radio Shack today and they had 4500 mah, 1.2 volt and had not heard of the 8000mah. Where can you get those and will any charger work? Last, how do I identify the voltage of a bulb? The standard D4 comes with a 5.8 watt bulb, and the rechargeable comes with an 18 watt I believe.

Thanks again for the help.

Mark

and am debating buying a set of high-capacity NiMH cells and stuffing them in there.

Be aware that its WATTS that make light. Not volts!

The D4 has 6V of drive. It therefore must draw twice as many amps to make the same watts as a C8, which has 12V of drive.

All things being equal, you want higher voltage and lower amp draw. Why? Because its amps that heat up the wiring and cause arc wear on switches and such.

Second, you will need TWICE as many mah from the D-cells as from the Cs, since you have twice as many Cs.

I'd go with the C8 (non-rechargable), and get a set of 4500mah NiMH cells for it and a charger. The bulbs in mine are labelled as 13 watts. It will draw 1.4 amps. With 4500 mah capacity, and using 80% of them, you will have a burn time of about 2-1/2 hours.

That ought to take care of you for a day of diving, at which point you can (of course) recharge.

A D4 with a 5.8W bulb will draw about the same current, so with the same 4500mah cells (but in "D" size) you'd get roughly the same burn time. BUT - the light will be a LOT dimmer! 5.8W is nowhere near 13 watts!

Get the C8 and refit it with the 4500 mah NiMh cells.

(You can also get a higher-output bulb for the C8, intended for use with rechargable cells only, that has an output of 18 watts. Note that the C8 also has TWO lamps, which gives you redundancy in case the bulb burns out - very useful! With the 18 watt bulb and 4500mah cells you get 1.9 hours of burn time, which is still pretty good - and may be enough for a day's diving as well.)

One thing to be aware of is that with rechargables you need to charge the night before you dive. All rechargable cells have an inherent "self-discharge" rate and as such you can't stick the light in a closet and expect to use it in a month without experiencing significant capacity loss.

If you keep the regular lamps in the C8, you can still use alkaline disposable batteries in an emergency (you forget to charge the NiMHs!) which may be worthwhile.

Wattage is only an indirect indication of light output and then only with bulbs of the same type. A 10W hid will put out as much or more "light " than a 50 watt halagen. The spectrum of the light also effects how usable it is. The watt is just a measurement of power.

we're debating two halogen lights, made by the same vendor, with a reasonably-close correlation to be expected between them in terms of how hard the bulbs are driven.

A 10w HID light is MUCH more usable than a 10W Halogen - partly due to the greater conversion efficiency from electricity into light (less loss to heat) and partly due to the higher color temperature of the emitted light.

Within halogen bulbs this is almost entirely controlled by how hard the bulb is driven (its design voltage .vs. its actual drive voltage) Higher drive voltages (.vs. design voltage) give you higher color temperature light but at the expense of bulb life.

Great help Genisis!

Genisis and Mike, aren't the HID lamps , like the Light Cannon, not as rugged? Also, are they a larger light?

Thanks,

Mark

is roughly the size of the C8.

It is reported to have significant durability problems though, primarily with the lamp. The big deal with this is that replacement bulbs are $80!

Overboard once bubbled...
Great help Genisis!

Genisis and Mike, aren't the HID lamps , like the Light Cannon, not as rugged? Also, are they a larger light?

Thanks,

Mark

The only HID I have any experience with is the Halcyon. The bulbs are expensive because it's more than a light bulb.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom