Uh oh another one jumps ship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whatever I may think of his politics... I think Al Gore is a great promoter and businessman... might make good short-term investment sense to buy stock in his company: OpinionJournal - Best of the Web Today

I think that a recent movie did convenient wonders for his company's bottom line...

Global Warming... follow the money, baby.

Warthaug ... I love how you keep posting all of this calmity from the same agencies which gave us the regulations which currently are causing the majority of the Greenhouse Gases ... the EPA (according to you, Kim, and all of the AGW disciples) is the sole administrator of the USA's policies toward the emissions you speak of and mind you they have been for the past 75 yrs +/- and are therefore responsible for the USA being the worlds biggest poluter (your assessment not mine)... Next you will be quoting the DOD for its assessment of the calmity on mankind due to AGW... funny how handy it is to quote these agencies when you want to make your point ... the same agencies causing the havoc ... that my friend takes chutzpa ...

The EPA can't even come up with a plan to meet Californias own demands for emission standards and you quote them for an assessment of the out come to future AGW events. Quoting any agency from our government concerning future events is down right silly ... you my friend deserve to be an honorary member of the Budweiser ad of "Real Men of Genius"

and back to 'I don’t like Al Gore'/’Al Gore invented GW’/’Al Gore can’t have my car’ we go.....

Bry - climate change was a big debate in science long, long before Al Gore and all the greenies/hippies/liberals/bogeymen/etc got on the band wagon. Most scientists really don't give a **** about popularists on either side of the public debate.

here’s the actual ICPP 2007 summary report on climate change. It’s quite short (around a 20 minute read, with plenty of diagrams based on real data) - I suggest people interested in this subject print it out and read it, rather than just misquote snippets they heard from other sources.

Although John R. Christy (who triggered this thread) is one of the 1000's of workers working for the ICCP, summarising scientific data from tens of thousands of sources, he’s not one of the 55 authors on this summary (which incudes some very well known scientists from a range of fields).

Cheers,
Rohan.

and back to 'I don’t like Al Gore'/’Al Gore invented GW’/’Al Gore can’t have my car’ we go.....
This thread isn't really about GW. It's just about the politics of GW.......and just politics. It reminds me of the Creation vs Evolution thread.

the EPA (according to you, Kim, and all of the AGW disciples) is the sole administrator of the USA's policies toward the emissions you speak of and mind you they have been for the past 75 yrs +/-

+/- 38 years? The EPA has only been in existence since 1970. :wink:

An issue has been made about facts and data in this thread. However, GW is a prediction of future calamity and there are no facts or data from the future, unless somebody has a flux capacitor handy. Thus, it all boils down to this; do you trust the climate model makers? And if so, why?

Because they are the single greatest source of expertise within that area. Let me switch that question around - who would you suggest we trust?

These quotes are from the Nobel prize winning IPCC report:

"One source of confidence (in the models) comes from the fact that model fundamentals are based on established physical laws, such as the conservation of mass, energy and momentum..." The report assures us that "powerful computers" were used (and these quotes are from the scientific report, not the dumbed down version for policy makers).

OK, swell. How sophomoric is it to assure us that the models use accepted physics and big computers?

Because it demonstrates that we are studying reality, and not ideas cooked up in our heads. If those models were based on hypothetical ideas they would not be very good. Because they are based solely on known, proven physical laws we know that they are the best possible representation of reality we can derive without having to resort to assumptions, "fudge" factors and guesses.

The "big computers" is simply a caveat added to most modern studies, as the amount of computing power required for these models is massive. So its pretty standard to state exactly how much computing power you used in order to show that your results are actually possible, given the technology at hand.
Can you imagine a molecular biology paper assuring us that its conclusions were valid because the authors accepted the laws of biology and used really, really good lab equipment?

We do it all the time. In my work I use technology only available in a few labs, and is quite rare/expensive. However, this technology allows me to preform experiments not possible with common equipment (i.e. tracking single molecules within living cells). As such it is very important to clearly state what I am using, as it proves that my equipment is capable of doing the things I claim. Likewise, I also have to describe the physics and mathematics used by the equipment to show that I'm staying within the bounds of proven science, and I'll reference proven biology when making conclusions, to show that I'm not making unsupportable jumps in logic.

Its all part of good scientific methodology and reporting.

"Some climate models, or closely related variants, have also been tested by using them to predict weather and make seasonal forecasts."

I'm sorry, I thought weather predicting and climate forecasting were separate things. I was chastised for this by a medical researcher/climatologist in a prior post. Again, the monumental success of predicting short term hurricane frequency really inspires my confidence.

They are. However, climate determines general weather patterns - i.e. overall rainfall patterns (amount of rain at different times of year), seasonal cloud cover, temperature trends, and so forth. As such a good climatological model should accurately predict changes to these general weather patterns. It won't predict the weather on, say, June 23rd, 2009, but it will be able to tell you what the average temps, precipitation, cloud cover, etc are for the month of June in 2009 for a particular region.

And moderns models do a very good job of this. They do not however predict specific weather events - like hurricanes - for the very simple reason that the formation of specific weather events relies on so many variables that modern computers cannot model them accurately.

Finally, my own observation: the different models vary from one another by up to 100%.

Really? Perhaps you could provide a link demonstrating such. As the IPCC has noted, while the models do come up with differences in the magnitude of change, they all agree on one thing - a net warming of the earth.

In oher words, there is wide discrepancy among the predictions of different simulations. Thus, most of them HAVE to be wrong (since they disagree)...why not ALL of them?

While they do not agree on the exact amount of warming which will occur, they all see warming. At that level, they all agree. By your logic they must all be right...

My position is that these models of our future doom may be right, but they are probably wrong (as such computer simulations are). I don't understand them, but then neither does anyone else in this thread.

That is a huge assumption on your part. The mathematical principals used for climatological models are pervasive throughout science, they physics they rely on are exactly the same as the physics regulating everything else, it is only the application which is unique. I frequently sit down and read their papers, and understand nearly everything they write.

But the track record of such models in other realms (stock predicting, a less complex task) is quite miserable.

You cannot even compare the two. Climatology is simply the study of physics. Stocks are not, and rather are a study of human behavior more then anything else.

The position of some, however, even though they have no personal knowledge of these models,

Another huge assumption on your part. If memory serves, one poster here is involved directly in this work. In my own case I have worked with a simple climatological model during my undergraduate years, as part of a series of courses I took on computer modeling in science (my minor, btw). And while the models used today are far more complex then the ones I played with all those years ago, the underlying methadology, mathmatics, and routines remain the same.

is that they ARE right without question,

Hardly. But when thousands of climatologists all stand up together and say "the world is warming, and this is what's going to happen as a consequence", then I tend to believe them. When an economist says "those climatologists are full of crap", I tend to doubt him.

You, for some reason, appear to think otherwise...

so right that we have to drastically alter our lifestyles to suit their predictions.

As I pointed out in a previous post, this is complete and utter BS. I've personally reduced my CO2 output by over 1/2, with no significant consequences on my lifestyle. The only difference is that I have more free time (due to shorter commutes) and more money in my pockets (due to decrease costs of car ownership and utility usage).

These believers trust these models, even though the IPCC report itself admits uncertainties in them.

I think you are misunderstanding what they mean by "uncertainties". All of the modern models agree that the world will warm. Actual measurements of the earth confirm this is occurring. The "uncertainties" you think so readily undermine these models are mostly uncertainties on the degree of warming which will occur.

Or, in other words, the argument isn't "if" we're going to warm, but rather by how much. Not exactly strong grounds to base a plan of inaction on...

My question is: WHY? If you don't know these models personally, why oh why do you have such religious zeal in trusting them, even when the modelers themselves admit flaws?:confused:

1) Because there is a strong scientific consensus that the net trend indicated by those models (i.e. warming) is correct.

2) Because I understand how those models work, and know the underlying science is based on a strong scientific foundation.

3) Because I understand exactly where the deficiencies in the models are, and the nature of the resulting uncertainties is of no mystery to me.

4) And finally, because the flaws which we know exist do not invalidate the results. So while we cannot use the models to say exactly how much the world will warm, or exactly how profound changes in weather will be, we can say that the world will warm, and that detrimental changes in weather patterns will occur.

Is that because climate modelers are, as a class, beyond reproach?

No, it because they've got ~40 years of experience under their belt, have validated their models, and rely on proven scientific principals to generate their models. I would trust that 1,000,000x more then your approach - that being ignoring potentially dangerous consequences on the basis that the models cannot agree on just how bad it'll be.

Or is it because they say something that fits nicely with what certain people WANT to believe: America is bad, rich consumers are bad, oil companies are bad, and so on?

I don't want to believe any of those things. But your above claim is a classic strawman argument - you cannot deal with the data, so you try and distract up by putting up a false and inflammatory argument.

OH, and in response to my challenge that SB members who believe in GW give up recreational diving that involves dive boats or jet travel (why should people give up their SUVs if others can't give up dive boats) as a show of their REAL concern for the planet?

Why give it up when I can do things which have a far greater impact - like moving to a more fuel efficient car, no longer driving to work, and have further reduced my consumption of gas and electricity? I consider my odd splurge (i.e. flight) to be a small reward...

Bryan

To reiterate: I don't discuss the data because there IS no data for the future.

Models are just that, models. Models! Don't you get it? They are SIMULATIONS. These are FAKE worlds. They are not FACT, they do not provide DATA, they have no CERTAINTY. To assume otherwise is religion, not science. If I concede that all the current data is perfect (not a reality of course), it still doesn't make the models infallible.

I see a lot of "appeal to authority" fallacies here. Who else to trust? How about the climatologists who DISAGREE with the models. Oh, I know. They are hacks...and besides, we do science by show of hands now. The majority wins.

Some models predict a degree, some say six degrees, rise in the next century. Some say the ocean will rise six inches, some say a foot and a half. If two models can be off by three or four degrees, that suggests that the margin of error is greater than the lowest estimates. In other words, it's possible, when all models are considered, that cooling is within the margin of error! And if one model predicts one degree and another six...HOW CAN THAT BE! These are paragons of accuracy to which we must subvert of lifestyles, computer marvels made by gods with HAL 9000s at their side! How can two supremely accurate models created by experts be so discordant with one another? You want to know why? BECAUSE THEY ARE MODELS!

The stock market is indeed a legitimate example...there is a wealth of past data regarding its behavior. Yes, it is human activity, but are human market forces more complex than global atmospherics? I think not.

But it is pointless arguing with someone who has such blind, irrational faith in computer models. I guess I can save myself some expense and get a computer diving game. If I dive in an ocean or in a computer simulation, it's all the same, isn't it?

Have a nice day:D

Models are just that, models. Models! Don't you get it? They are SIMULATIONS. These are FAKE worlds. They are not FACT, they do not provide DATA, they have no CERTAINTY.
Good job they didn't use you to work out how to save Apollo 13 huh? :D

Good job they didn't use you to work out how to save Apollo 13 huh? :D

You are joking right?

Using exact working copies of the same spacecraft on the ground to do realtime simulations of mulitple engineering scenarios isn't quite the same thing as using purely mathematical models of the climate to predict future scenarios to a single degree accuracy 100 years from now, is it? Models that don't include a) clouds b) carbon feedback c) short term oscillations or d) ice sheet dynamics?

To mimic Apollo 13, we would need an exact duplicate of the earth to simulate the climate and test it over the next 100 years and compare to our own earth.

Let me ask this: suppose (god forbid) you had a child with leukemia and the doctor says they have a new drug that has never been used, not even in animals, but computer simulations of the drug suggest it will provide a 95% cure rate, rather than the 90% cure rate of established drugs. Do you go with the what you know, not ideal but not bad, or do you risk the farm, so to speak, and trust the models?

Wait, you say. No one uses computer simulations to predict the efficacy of chemotherapy drugs! First, yes they do. And second, no one has used a computer model to predict climate a century into the future. These models have no track record over the time scales they are being used to forecast. No track record at all.

Would you eschew established care in favor of a drug that works only in computers?

Would you eschew established care in favor of a drug that works only in computers?
But as you keep saying, there IS no established care as far as climate goes. In fact we're only finding out now how sick we are and the probable cause. In that scenario I'd say that computer models for solutions is as good as it's going to get! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom