Uemis closing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Below is the text of an email that was just sent out fromthe Florida Rep.

It is with deep regret that I must inform you that Uemis Ltd is in what the Swiss call “Liquidation” as of 24 June 2011. I do not know exactly what this means but does not sound good.

Please know that we at TDE are shocked. We first learned of this as an internet rumor. I expect you have many questions but at this point you know as much as we do. If we learn anything significant we will pass it along.

For what it is worth, their websites (Home - uemis - THE UNDERWATER REVOLUTION & Home - uemis DiveWorld) are currently ‘up’.

Contact info

Uemis Ltd

Zürichstrasse 110b

CH-8134 Adliswil

Switzerland

E: info@uemis.com

T: +41 0 44 500 37 80

F: +41 0 43 377 97 70

Best Regards,

Bill Stone

I'm sure Laura will be along to fix it. She seems to have been a bit absent recently though...

What is there to fix? The "being dissolved" is straight from Swiss company register.

My heart goes out to the folks that purchased the computer - I know they made the purchasing decision because it was a good match for their needs.

FWIW, the hardware seemed pretty robust, and the software was mature - so until something goes wrong, (small consolation, I know) they'll continue to get good use out of it.

All the best, James

Laura, one of the things that we really want to find out is if there will be a company that can do at least battery replacements (and maybe other minor repairs)? Is Ernst able to release the required documentation / parts to a third part (Dive Right in Scuba comes to mind) so they can keep those of us who bought the UEMIS Zurich diving with it?

Very disappointed about a $2k investment that I made just a few weeks ago :-(

Be a nice product to add to an existing manufacturer line who has a bit more resourses to add to it.

Laura,

I don't think they really did do everything they could have to not get to this point. I actually think that old, tired, outdated scuba practices is what also contributed to this.

UEMIS is/was a cutting edge computer. They sold to their dealers and consumers thru their online store. They had logging software that was strictly done online. A few months ago, they lost their Canadian Distributor for reasons we will not get in to. He did allow internet sales in the US, and sales were PLENTY. Especially when they ran a sale to the tune of about $1350 with transmitter. There was ZERO signs of anything negative at that point. We couldn't keep them in stock at that price point no matter how many we ordered!!

Shortly after that (losing Canadian Distributor), they banned all internet sales...and we were actually threatened, even though we were there number 1 dealer, because we sold their products online. Regardless of the fact we weren't told of the change in policy enforcement. This was also a big deal between us and them and the treatment of their largest dealer...

So, they kill their largest selling source (online in general not just us), they limit others that are online selling it. The same folks who helped get the name out and word about their computer. Which also actually drives people into their local shops, asking about the computer, which makes the local guy become a dealer and sell them locally....all helping UEMIS. So, you get rid of all that, which makes no sense in this day and age....and what do you really expect to happen? How many local shops do you see or hear about getting the word out? How many of you that bought one, heard about it online? Bought online? Who bought and heard about it locally? Did you do any research about it online? I bet so....

Now, let's also add in a US distributor....what do you think happens to the price? Another hand in the middle. The MSRP jumps from $1649.99 to $1999.99.......

So, in all honesty, I don't agree with your statement. I stressed my points to them over a year ago that they needed to get with the times and allow us to follow their online business practices. They said, at this time we are not looking at changing to an Internet Model. Even though, everything THEY did was based on an internet model, they weren't going to allow internet sales. We obliged, due to it being a KICKASS Computer, and people wanting it. I have one and LOVE it.

Regardless of what ANYONE says, Internet retailers DO drive traffic to local stores. I just had a guy today, that talked to me extensively about buying a Whites Fusion a few weeks back...only to buy it locally. It happens all the time. My price was even better, but he wanted to buy locally. He thanked me for helping him, and told me he bought locally to support the local shop. They didn't know anything about the suit, and didn't sell it...I did. I helped that store make money, and sometimes they help us when people go try something on. It actually goes both ways. Our advertising (online retailers in general), is expansive at helping people learn about a product. Online stores are pretty good catalogs for a lot of people to peruse late at night. Our product knowledge (again online stores in general), is typically better than an actual store. We dive the products, train people how to use them, and stay up on the latest and greatest (not all online stores) to give the best service locally or not. So you are really cutting your throat to not get into having online retailers....especially a newish company. Your product can be the best, but can also not get promoted in a dead economy with just standard "Dive stores".

More stores need to evolve into today's business model, and so do manufacturers. This is another case, in my opinion, of old business practices and "know how" ruining what could have been a stellar name and computer. Just like you see dive shops going out of business due to their dinosaur practices, now you are seeing a manufacturer.

I am 100% certain there was more they could do, but they didn't want to. They relied on the "Ol way" of doing things and got burnt. Evolve or disappear. Hopefully others are paying attention! This economy isn't one that will support old practices, and YOU, everyone here, won't support it either.

I agree, it would be a pity if such a great computer, with so much potential for new features, is really discontinued.
But if it is, I really wish that UEMIS do something for the community/people who put their trust and hope in the SDA: release software to export our dives is a minimum, but we could dream of having the code source of the firmware being released so people could keep developping it (ok, I am perhaps being a bit utopic here....)

Be a nice product to add to an existing manufacturer line who has a bit more resourses to add to it.

Reactions: BB1
Mike I did my research, last night and I was not impressed either, and for them to tell you everything was fine. I dug deep into it and found out all the problems you have mentioned and new this has been going bad for awhile.

They are also not broke, they might have enough to live a long time on there profits.

Now Laura is only being nice and responding as someone asked her, and after few post, she told her thoughts of what she could.

It does tend to be a bad thing as these things cost a lot of money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom