UDI diver location device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Navimate - GPS for Divers

Something like this maybe? Not sure how well they work, but thought you might want to look into them.
I guess they use a gps location on the surface and inertial navigation beneath.

The OP has been edited to remove the mention of safety as a consideration. As has been pointed out, the analogy to avalanche pingers is invalid from a safety perspective because avalanche victims can survive for extended periods of time under the snow, as opposed to divers with limited gas supplies. You could imagine a scenario where a rebreather diver was sucked to the depths by a downcurrent and subsequently entangled, I guess, but that's beyond far-fetched.

If there are baggage constraints, or constraints on how much gear a diver can safely carry, the recovery device being discussed would be displacing gear that might actually help keep the diver alive, rather than just aid in the body recovery. A personal locator beacon is an obvious example, but a half liter of water or a signal mirror is equally valid. But if the only concern is body recovery, then a well-lubricated weightbelt buckle will probably serve as well as anything.

If safety is in fact a concern, adequate signaling devices, a larger tank, and a little fresh water would be my short list of solutions.

Back
Top Bottom