UDI diver location device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Obviously good buddy skills, diving within limits, researching dive location & currents are key to dive safety, to make the best efforts to avoid any recovery situation.

However, as almost all new skiwear is equipped with pinger systems to recover avalanche victims, I was wondering if something similar is available for divers. This would be particularly useful for diving in areas with strong currents.

I was under the impression that Scubaboard would be a good place to research this topic.

I was under the impression that Scubaboard would be a good place to research this topic.
I would think so, it's just the the tone of your post, as I read it, made it seem like you may have been a bit "excessively focused on a negative outcome?"

I don't know about an avalanche pinger, but I do seem to recall seeing sonar transmitter/receivers that you could attach to an anchor line or entry point to find it again. The beacon would transmit to a wrist unit that gave you distance/direction.

There was also a wrist mounted device at DEMA a few years ago that let you send underwater text messages and included a buddy locator IIRC.

No idea what the range of those things are, or the feasibility for something like you're describing.

Thanks for your input, I will look into those devices.

I do not feel that the tonality of my original post was in any way "excessively focused on a negative outcome", rather factual and easy to understand. However I guess perception is 9/10ths of reality. That's the thing about writing and style... its easy to be misunderstood.

Many avalanche victims are conscious under the snow but cannot extricate themselves. Using this analogy, I would get a deployable surface marker buoy (DSMB) and rig it with a finger spool with about 150 feet of line and a double-ended snap bolt. If you are in a jam that you can't escape but you are thinking clearly you can shoot up the DSMB and, when it hits the surface, clip off the spool on a D-ring on your BC. This should make finding your body very easy. Now, I don't really think that the situation that I outlined above is likely, but having a DSMB and practicing its use is a very good skill to have.

I think it is quite obvious that good buddy skills and diving within your limits are the most important safety precaution.

However I posted this question with a view to getting information about a recovery device, so if anyone has some information on what devices are available, it would be greatly appreciated.

From my understanding radio waves don't work well underwater.

There really is no recreation scuba locator because there is no technology for such an invention to be reliable and effective.

The link DennisS gave you is for surface use I believe.

If you're worried about getting stuck on the bottom and trying to find a device so you can be rescued alive, I'd go w/ a reel and safety sausage.
If you're looking for body recovery beacon, then I'd say find a "good" buddy (ironic statement if you think about it).

Overall if you and your buddy are competent, prepared, and safe, you'll be ok.
If not then there's always a weight belt ditch, CESA, or a buoyant flair to bring you to the surface.

there is another device, one that was shown at the 2007 DEMA show .. it gives the location of other divers relative to you (direction, and whether they are above or below your depth) a direction back to boat, and the ability to communicate with other divers by sending precomposed text messages

here you go ... http://www.utc-digital.com/
It has an SOS feature that someone could activate to locate you if they are within 1100 yards ... http://www.utc-digital.com/contentpr.asp?cid=74&pr=38&k=76

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

threads merged

There really is no recreation scuba locator because there is no technology for such an invention to be reliable and effective.

The link DennisS gave you is for surface use I believe.
read it again

Applications: Diver navigation, instrument recovery, underwater location marking
Depth Rating: 300 m
Once on a LOB a diver had the Sport. He tied the transmitter to the hang bar. I ran into him once far enough away that I didn't know where the boat was. He was able to show me the direction using it. (not that I was worried about it - it was the Bahamas in 60') I noticed later in the week he quit using it.

there is another device, one that was shown at the 2007 DEMA show .. it gives the location of other divers relative to you (direction, and whether they are above or below your depth) a direction back to boat, and the ability to communicate with other divers by sending precomposed text messages

here you go ... http://www.utc-digital.com/
It has an SOS feature that someone could activate to locate you if they are within 1100 yards ... utc - The Product - Remote SOS

Yep, that's the one that I was thinking of.

There was also a wrist mounted device at DEMA a few years ago that let you send underwater text messages and included a buddy locator IIRC.

No idea what the range of those things are, or the feasibility for something like you're describing.

Back
Top Bottom