Uber Approved in Quintana Roo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My point was that good or bad doesn't depend on who you ask...
Of course it does; bringing murder into the discussion is simply hyperbole. Never in a million years would I employ hyperbole to win a point. :D

Take the Cozumel taxi system for example; if you ask a taxi driver if it is good or bad he will tell you that the union establishing what the fares are and working to keep other entities from coming in and undercutting them is what is providing a living wage for him that enables him to feed his family, i.e., a good thing. Ask a gringo tourist who is feeling "ripped off" by the fares (I do not), he will tell you something different.

Of course it does; bringing murder into the discussion is simply hyperbole. Never in a million years would I employ hyperbole to win a point. :D
Hyperbole exposes the point.

Take the Cozumel taxi system for example; if you ask a taxi driver if it is good or bad he will tell you that the union establishing what the fares are and working to keep other entities from coming in and undercutting them is what is providing a living wage for him that enables him to feed his family, i.e., a good thing. Ask a gringo tourist who is feeling "ripped off" by the fares (I do not), he will tell you something different.
There is such a thing as overall good and bad, not just relative good or bad. "Good for me" is not the same thing as "good".

Lucky you. The taxis exchange rate is 20-1.
???????????
Does the union have an 'official' exchange rate or does it 'float' with the markets or is it what ever an individual operator can get?
Oanda rate is currently about 16 2/3 to 1, which is back to the rates in 2015.

Hyperbole exposes the point.
BS. It stretches the point to irrelevance. Whether murder is "good" or "bad" has nothing whatsoever to do with the taxi union on Cozumel.
There is such a thing as overall good and bad, not just relative good or bad. "Good for me" is not the same thing as "good".
I could not disagree more in this case. Beyond that, it is not your place (or mine, either) to impose our ideas of what is "good" or "bad" on the Cozumel taxi union. At best we have a very low resolution image of what is going on there, whereas the people involved are intimately acquainted with the minute details of the situation. Quite frankly, it's none of our business.

I could not disagree more in this case. Beyond that, it is not your place (or mine, either) to impose our ideas of what is "good" or "bad" on the Cozumel taxi union. At best we have a very low resolution image of what is going on there, whereas the people involved are intimately acquainted with the minute details of the situation. Quite frankly, it's none of our business.
If good or bad is all relative, then it is just as valid to impose my ideas of good on the Cozumel taxi union as it is for them to impose theirs on me.

If it effects me (when I visit, like I will in 2 weeks) then it is my business. If it effects tourism, then it is the business of all the other people in Cozumel as well. To suggest simultaneously that good and bad are all relative, and that it is no one's but the Cozumel taxi union's business is illogical.

If it is all relative and it affects me then it is my business, and my good is the only logical good to pick. But if good and bad have meaning beyond me, then it can at least somewhat be determined independent of who you ask. In fact we should ask everyone being effected to better understand.

You are right that it is complicated, and we are seeing it from a distance. We shouldn't assume that what we see and what we value are all that is relevant. But, that doesn't make it automatically be that the Cozumel taxi union's view of what is good is all that is relevant.

???????????
Does the union have an 'official' exchange rate or does it 'float' with the markets or is it what ever an individual operator can get?
I think that the exchange rate in taxis is just a rough approximation to the official rate with easy math that doesn't require change for a dollar and which does not equate to less than the official rate. I have no idea whether it is "official" or not, but if you pay in US$ you will nearly always pay more. You certainly will not pay less.

If good or bad is all relative, then it is just as valid to impose my ideas of good on the Cozumel taxi union as it is for them to impose theirs on me.

If it effects me (when I visit, like I will in 2 weeks) then it is my business. If it effects tourism, then it is the business of all the other people in Cozumel as well. To suggest simultaneously that good and bad are all relative, and that it is no one's but the Cozumel taxi union's business is illogical.

If it is all relative and it affects me then it is my business, and my good is the only logical good to pick. But if good and bad have meaning beyond me, then it can at least somewhat be determined independent of who you ask. In fact we should ask everyone being effected to better understand.

You are right that it is complicated, and we are seeing it from a distance. We shouldn't assume that what we see and what we value are all that is relevant. But, that doesn't make it automatically be that the Cozumel taxi union's view of what is good is all that is relevant.
I have said all that I intend to about this to you. You are, of course, free to moralize all you want about the situation, but it's not relevant. They will work it out for themselves and that is how it should be.

Peace out.

I have said all that I intend to about this to you. You are, of course, free to moralize all you want about the situation, but it's not relevant. They will work it out for themselves and that is how it should be.

Peace out.
They includes us as their customers, their local customers that may not be able to afford gringo prices, and all those locals indirectly effected on the island. You are right that they will work it out, in the sense that whatever happens is the worked out result.

I'm not "moralizing", I'm just saying that the taxi union is not the only stake holder (and neither are the tourists), and that good is more than just "I got mine" or bad "I didn't get mine." Usually the truly good result is balance, not just one group with power, whether it is tourists with the power of money, or unions with the power of monopoly.

But you are right, we aren't getting anywhere with this, so I'll drop it too.

Peace to you too.

???????????
Thats the rate they use. Doesnt matter if its 16-1 or 14-1. Its the rate they were accustomed to getting last year......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom