U.s.s. Oriskany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If anybody dives this I am going to want to see pictures, and lots of em. This gives me an excuse to head down to florida now.

jepuskar:
This post offends me.

Then don't read it. There are plenty of other threads here.

She was opened to rec. divers @ noon today FRI. I don't think I'd worry to much about her falling over on her side but a good point !
There is a good video of the navy diving her this a.m. @ pensacolanewsjournal.com

Lukiedukie:
I just read an AP report that says different here are the highlights

- Navy divers confirmed she's upright oriented north/south
- 150ft to flight deck
- divers could see tower from the surface
- 100ft viz

Here is the link
http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/breaking_news/14612106.htm

I would be incined to believe the people who actually stood on her deck and looked at their guages as opposed to someone standing on the surface with a pen and paper or ipod trying to figure out what everyone around them was talking about.

To err is human- to foulup requires a typo.

Codyjp:
is there any wait period with a ship like this just in case it were to fall over? wouldn't it be a bummer to be inside of it and have it roll over after settling into the sand...

Diver to himself;

"that light hole is gone... am i moving? hey, whats going on here...ughh, geezzz..."

If you're diving it under conditions that would cause it to roll over, you've probably already got bigger issues to worry about...

If you're qualified to be inside then loss of light shouldn't be a concern anyway.

There will be plenty of penetration opportunites on the island of this ship, many of which can get even experienced divers in trouble.

IMHO, lower level access should only be attempted by very experienced and trained divers.

A lot of people that haven't seen this thing first hand don't truly appreciate how many opportunities to screw the pooch that are going to be presented to the reckless and foolhardy.

Back
Top Bottom