U.S. DIVERS steel tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

douglasville diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got a u.s. divers steel 72,problem,I need to remove the teflon coating inside.
I have a tumbler ,a bag of ceramic chips but will this work,is there a better way?
This tank is clean and cool and would make a good deco bottle or not.

I know the LDS's freak when they see a lined tank but I just had one pass hydro with no issues. Of course I fill my own so I don't have to put up with the LSD BS

So just send it off to hydro maybe expect to lose my 10 percent and fill it myself.

The coating is most likely not teflon but epoxy. It is very difficult to remove. I have tumbled such tanks 24 hrs a day for a week with ceramic media and not gotten it removed. If the coating is perfect with no pinholes or pits there is no reason to remove it. A steel 72 makes a good single tank and, paired with another, an even better set of doubles. It does not, however. make a good stage bottle because it is too negative. A stage or deco bottle should be as close to neutrally buoyant as possible.

Taking it sat. for hydro,thanks for the tip guys. If everthing goes well I'll dive it with the original "J" valve on boats loaded with o.w. students.

Back
Top Bottom