U pay to give companies free advertising?

Would you pay for a branded t-shirt?

• Yes, I don't mind paying if I like the brand.

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • No, but would wear it if it was free.

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • No, and I would not wear it even if it was free.

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

burna

Contributor
Reaction score
Another thread about a competition to design a t-shirt for a gear manufacturer got me thinking.

Who actually buys a t-shirt so that a company can have free advertising?

Isn't this the wrong way around?

If I have bought a particular brand of gear (and sometimes even if I haven't) and I was given a t-shirt for free, then I would happily wear it around and give the company free advertising, but why should I buy it?? :idk:

One question, out of curiosity.

Does your definition of "branded t-shirt" include those from Nike, Adidas, Puma, so forth?
For that matter, how does Gucci go?

One question, out of curiosity.

Does your definition of "branded t-shirt" include those from Nike, Adidas, Puma, so forth?
For that matter, how does Gucci go?

I think you answered your own question there.

It really depends upon the product doesn't it? I pay for nice T-shirts; if someone wants me to pay for a nice T-shirt that promotes a business or non-profit, I'll do so if I think it is a good deal. But I wouldn't pay for some cheesy promotional T-shirt that is destined to be used to clean my car.

I won't let the car dealer leave his advertisement on my car when I buy a car, why would I pay for a T-Shirt that was an advertisement?

It really depends on the brand. Up to now the mfg shirts I have were gimme's. They came in exchange for a review I wrote, a testimonial, or just because we consider it a good deal for both of us. My shirts that I give to each student are for me good business. It gives my service exposure and the cost to me is factored in as overhead.

As for the stuff like polo, a&f, gucci, etc that is just stupid. Nothing I hate more than someone putting out a 50 cent sweatshop made product and selling it for $30 because of some little logo. I have a dealer frame on my truck because it was free and came with it. And it is my choice to keep it on there. The dealer has been very good to me over the years. But were it one of those stickers actually on the paint- nah , get it off there or pay me 500 bucks for ad space. I don't mind wearing branded gear either as long as its classy. But don't expect me to pay retail for it. Which I never do anymore.

Ah.
Well, I wanted to know whether the OP's definition was confined to scuba gear brands, or brands in general.

I do side with Dennis that I won't have the dealership's advertisement on my car.
Then, all my cars have their manufacturer's names and badges on them, and while they might be a form of advertisement, I'm not annoyed with those badges.

If you choose to wear only non-branded items it certainly limits your choices. Even the "Dive Cozumel" shirts are branded to advertise Cozumel, almost everything is branded in some way. If I like the item and it is a fair price, the branding doesn't matter to me. Look at how many people buy and wear Amphibious Outfitters t-shirts. They buy them for the original designs, not to advertise AO. I don't own any because I feel that they are too expensive.

I have branded products made for my business but they are given to my students (or included in the price of the course, however you want to look at it) or friends/family and they are absolutely for advertisement. For the students, it is most likely their first scuba t-shirt and they are proud to announce that they are scuba divers, good for them, good for me. I don't actually sell them though. But to answer your question, yes, I do buy branded products, not because of the brand name but because of the designs, quality or value.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom