U-853?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i went with ocean state scuba a few years ago. unfortunately the shop has closed after owner david swain (our skipper at that time) got extradited to the british virgin islands for allegedly murdering his wife.

great dive though.

i went with ocean state scuba a few years ago. unfortunately the shop has closed after owner david swain (our skipper at that time) got extradited to the british virgin islands for allegedly murdering his wife.

great dive though.

That was the shop the club officers knew about. They were hoping someone else picked up the diving in light of his predicament.

I dove with Giant Stride Dive center out of Warwick RI in August on the U-853 The dive was great little hard getting back on the boat with doubles. They are going to change that next season. Overall was excellent

The extreme...

We dove the U853 few days ago. I had Doubles HP120 and a 40cf "pony". Just in case we hanged on the line a steel 72 and Nitrox on a 30cf pony.

Ed

Ed, what was your bottom time?

I'm sorry, but twin 120's is a deep Doria rig, even with strict rule of 1/3'rds it is over kill for the dive and your back, did you leave a mail forwarding notice?

Ed, what was your bottom time?

I'm sorry, but twin 120's is a deep Doria rig, even with strict rule of 1/3'rds it is over kill for the dive and your back, did you leave a mail forwarding notice?

Ed likes to get his $$$ worth on the fills. He breaths fast to make sure he uses every bit from the tank. :D :rofl3:

Ed had a ton left. He did a second dive on the Heroine on the same tanks.

The reason he has them is that he likes to use doubles for the redundancy, but he wanted a set that he could use for two consecutive boat dives in most situations and he decided his double 100s didn't leave him enough for that.

But yes, it is much more than is actually needed for a single dive on the 853.

What are the bottom temps for the u853 this time of year? Trying to decide between going wet or dry.

Fran Marcoux of Cape Ann Charters is making a special trip down to RI next week. You might check with him to see if he has any seats left...

I received a good enough response from everyone about the diving out of Point Judith on some of the wrecks around Block Island that I am going to try a trip running out of a marina on Point Judith which seems to be the closest to some of the requested sites. I have a lot of interest in the U853 so I have listed it below quite often however as with all our schedules until they are booked you could change the location or combination of dive sites. Since this area is fairly new to us we are open to some additional wrecks if they are within our time/distance range. I have listed a tentative schedule below to start the process as we get bookings we will firm up locations and exact times also if we get enough interest we could stay an extra day or two. Let me know if you are interested in any of these or alternatives thank you franm 508-873-8339

Monday Sept 29th all day drive to Point Judith from Gloucester

Tuesday Sept 30th set moorings on Bass, U853, Blackpoint Bow

Wednesday Oct 1st USS Bass 160' or U853 130'

Wednesday Oct 1st 1pm available if USS Bass is not booked for morning U853/Blackpoint 105' or U853/Idene 90' or some combo of wrecks listed below would be available for afternoon dive

Thursday Oct 2nd USS Bass 160'

Friday Oct 3rd am U853/Blackpoint Bow 105'

Friday Oct 3rd pm booked

Saturday Oct 4th am U853/ divers choice of most of the recreational depth wrecks listed below

Saturday Oct 4th pm divers choice 2 of most of the of the recreational depth wrecks listed below

Sunday Oct 5th am U853/divers choice of most of the recreational depth wrecks listed below

Monday Oct 6th available for USS Bass or any of the wrecks or some combo that works of the wrecks listed below

Possible wrecks we can dive subject to conditions (weather/logistics of combinations/distances)

USS Bass Bow and Stern 160'
U853 130'
Blackpoint Bow 105'
Idene 90'
Troydon 130'
Heroine 72'
other wrecks in the area that may have interest of a group

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom