Typical length of BCD inflator hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoatingDave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So haven't decided what kind of BCD I want to get (trying decide between jacket vs wing) but in the meantime I need a new BCD LP inflator hose. Is there a "typical" hose length?

The one on my reg that I used to have was 29" long and seemed fine with rented jacket style BCDs, but now that I'm looking I see hoses that are 22" to 36" or longer. Obviously you'd want to get one that fits your gear, but what typical hose length do people recommend before getting a new BCD?

Thanks

So haven't decided what kind of BCD I want to get (trying decide between jacket vs wing) but in the meantime I need a new BCD LP inflator hose. Is there a "typical" hose length?

The one on my reg that I used to have was 29" long and seemed fine with rented jacket style BCDs, but now that I'm looking I see hoses that are 22" to 36" or longer. Obviously you'd want to get one that fits your gear, but what typical hose length do people recommend before getting a new BCD?

Thanks

Typically the LP inflator hose comes with the new BC at the appropriate length so you don't have to buy it separately.

A correct length hose will come with your new BC.

Right, but before I get the BC if I rent a jacket I would think I'd need a LP QD hose on my reg?

You can buy one and the new one will end up as a spare. One other possibility is that they rent you the LP hose with the rental BC.

I'd strongly suggest just pulling the trigger on a BCD purchase if you can. That way you are sure to get the proper length LP hose. Between jacket and wing, I'd suggest wing, or possibly a back-inflate hybrid if you want. If you've rented before then you know what a jacket style feels like. If you like that, get one. If you don't like it or think that it's just fine, then I think you'll likely prefer a wing or hybrid back-inflate better. I might be wrong, but you generally see people move from jacket to wing and not the other way around.

That said, if you aren't ready to make that purchase yet and you absolutely need a new LP hose, then get one that is the same length you currently have but try to get Miflex rather than rubber. A Miflex hose that is too long isn't going to be as much of an issue as a rubber one that is. For example, my Hydros came with a rubber hose that is longer than the Miflex hose that came with my Outlaw. There's no way I can use the Hydros's hose with the Outlaw without it making the whole inflator hose stick up at a really weird angle. The rubber just isn't flexible enough. I'm not certain it would work with a long Miflex either because I don't have one to test, but I'm assuming it would be better.

Right, but before I get the BC if I rent a jacket I would think I'd need a LP QD hose on my reg?

If you're intent on renting a BC, just err on the side of too long rather than too short. If 29" worked for you before, go for it. As others have said, if and when you buy a BC, a hose of a length matched to the BC will come with the BC. And even then, you may decide it's a bit too long or too short, as it can also depend on how you choose to route your hoses from the regulator ports. Hence, most of us end up with a collection of LP inflator hoses.

The 22 inch inflator hose is correct for most wings. May folks will buy a shorter corrugated hose to put the inflator right up near the anterior top of their shoulder. You do not want the inflator hose to reach much past were the D-ring and bungee (that secures it) is located on the left shoulder strap. For most that is a 22 inch hose. If you are a big feller, especially tall or just big, lol, then you might need to go longer.

James

Why?
All BC/wing comes with factory fitted corrugated hose.

Why?
All BC/wing comes with factory fitted corrugated hose.

As I understand it, he owns the regulator set, but he intends to rent a jacket BC. So his LP inflator hose needs to be long enough to work with any of a variety of rental BCs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom