Typical Confined Water Arrangements for Pros

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RU4SKUBA

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I was wondering what types of arrangements are typically made with local swim clubs, pools, or parks for doing confined water courses and what I might expect to pay for access to these sites?

Are there any problems with using a private pool for instruction, if it fits the PADI requirements?

This will certainly vary depending on location. It might be better to post this in the instructor section. Additionally, you may find it helpful to call a few pools directly to get an idea of pricing in your specific area. I see no conflict with a private pool being used from a PADI perspective, but you may have regional restrictions such as additional governmental regulations in certain areas. Is the owner of the pool insured? Do you carry pro coverage? Ensure all necessary releases and medical forms are completed prior to entering the water. Don't forget the rubber boots to help protect the pool as well.

Some may not allow hard weights only soft shot ones as well. My arrangement is NOT typical. I have pretty much unlimited use of a shop pool in exchange for sweeping it every so often and for referring my students for gear rentals and purchases. One pool closer to me at a local high school would allow me to use it for $2 per person during the hours of public swims (Mon, Wed, and Fri FROM 7:30 to 8:30 PM!) after that it would be the cost of a janitor, lifeguard, security guard, and electric per hour. Worked out to around $150 a night! No friggin way as I teach a 32 hour course with at least 16 in the pool.

Here in NY we formerly paid $250. a night at a local Y..another place was a Maritime college and that was up to $50. per person for a night( 8 to 11pm)..now I am at a LDS that has its own indoor heated pool on site so the pool costs per night are not there anymore but the facilty gets an electric bill that includes the energy used the heater and pumps of the pool and its usually around $1500. per month, sometimes more.

I was wondering what types of arrangements are typically made with local swim clubs, pools, or parks for doing confined water courses and what I might expect to pay for access to these sites?

Are there any problems with using a private pool for instruction, if it fits the PADI requirements?

According to PADI standards, you may use ANY body of water you want for confined water as long as it meets the requirements regarding shallow & deep ends, vis, etc. It doesn't always have to be a pool.

Sometimes you can make very favourable arrangements with municipal pools or local swim clubs if you offer them OW classes at a "preferred rate" or similar for their staff. Also, unless you have a very large class, you may find it more economical to simply rent one or two lanes as opposed to a whole pool.

As to how much these rentals cost, YMMV. Check with other Instructors in your area.

I know of a few independent instructors that use the pool's in condos of would be students. You need to clear things with the building management, but the student/tenant could help smooth things out. The pool also needs to meet minimum requirements per PADI cert standards. This is very economical in my current location. Also a nice customer service offering for families looking to learn scuba. Again, local regulations and availability may differ depending on your location.

As we are in a resort area we are lucky enough to have use of some local hotel pools. Depending on what course we are conducting (DSD, Rescue etc) depends where we go. All we have had to do really is take the managers/owners diving and it seems to keep everyone happy...oh and only soft weights in the pool ; )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom