Tying in without plastic bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL .. Always more to learn but Thank you for the support. The input is interesting to read and much appreciated. I'm thinking hard about some procedure that will work for everyone. Meaning, the guy tying in, the captain (he doesn't need to be chasing lift bags around the Atlantic ocean when there are gusting winds, waves and a boat full of divers who want to get in the water), and the customers.

We find that once the lift bag with the weight is sighted, we can pick up the bag and tie in to the shot line within a few quick minutes. Obviously that wouldn’t work if you just rely on the weight of the chain itself and don’t use an additional weight like we do.

(For the record, I’m in MA and agree that a SMB shot up the line on a ring could run into some difficulties)

LOL .. Always more to learn but Thank you for the support. The input is interesting to read and much appreciated. I'm thinking hard about some procedure that will work for everyone. Meaning, the guy tying in, the captain (he doesn't need to be chasing lift bags around the Atlantic ocean when there are gusting winds, waves and a boat full of divers who want to get in the water), and the customers.

The wheels are turning for not only myself but a number of other crew based on some of the input here.

For the "Ring on an SMB" people.. please take a look at the attached pic. this Can and Does happen on calm days before the slack can be taken up on the line. I like the idea.. not saying it's without merit, but if you have any kind of downward pitch in the line beyond you line of site you'll just never know if the SMB made it to the surface.

View attachment 517830

If you have a 50 lb lift capacity smb on a one-foot diameter ring.. what will happen if you have zero current conditions?

You are worried that the ring won't make it all the way to the ball? It doesn't have to, it will slide up the rope until it reaches the surface. You think the rope is going to be so tangled that it is going to trap a 50 lb lift bag under the surface? I suppose that could happen, but I think it is unlikely unless your line is all twisted up. A swivel on the ball should address that I would think.

We find that once the lift bag with the weight is sighted, we can pick up the bag and tie in to the shot line within a few quick minutes. Obviously that wouldn’t work if you just rely on the weight of the chain itself and don’t use an additional weight like we do.

(For the record, I’m in MA and agree that a SMB shot up the line on a ring could run into some difficulties)

Thanks for the input .. running this through my head.

If you have a 50 lb lift capacity smb on a one-foot diameter ring.. what will happen if you have zero current conditions?

You are worried that the ring won't make it all the way to the ball? It doesn't have to, it will slide up the rope until it reaches the surface. You think the rope is going to be so tangled that it is going to trap a 50 lb lift bag under the surface? I suppose that could happen, but I think it is unlikely unless your line is all twisted up. A swivel on the ball should address that I would think.

Okay .. It's worth doing some experimentation (provided the Captain will allow it) Appreciate the input.

Topic is still open...

Let us know how it works. Those anchor lifting rings are pretty common and very strong. I would be very surprised if it doesn't work well.

If the diver needs confirmation that the signal has been received, perhaps gunning the engines 3 times when the float hits the surface would work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom