TX50 or ATX50 - any preference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarryNL

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've seen the TX50 mentioned on various DIR websites with its ease of disassembly and reassembly underwater important. Does this also apply to the ATX50, and which of these regulators, if either, would be more appropriate for a DIR setup?

Those two are basicaly the same regulators with different casing. Whatever goes for TX50 goes for ATX50 also.

Both are great second stages and the front cover can be removed on both without the need for special tools (or the need to remove a pin like on some Scubapro second stages). I like the TX because of the big exhaust tee but for the bungied backup I prefer the smaller ATX. Of course with the new XTX one can have a small second stage AND fit the preferred exhaust tee size as needed.

Barry,
Are you also known as Barry Smith? (I saw a question by a Barry Smith on the DIS-UK list) If so, a 40lb Eclipse would be fine- there's little difference between the 30lb and 40lb although I suspect quite a few people will be in favour of the 30 rather than the 40. I was advised to get the 40lb - unfortunately I didn't ask why Arggggh!

The regs - like Vie I use the TX50 and ATX50 as backup. They are fine for DIR AFAIK. I'm not DIR so take any advice from me with a pinch of salt.

Here in the US the "default configuration" of the TX50 has a DS4 for a 1st stage, where the ATX50 comes with a DST. That can account for *some* of the differences in preference you might hear about.
... the front cover can be removed on both without the need for special tools ...
You'll need to loosen it first, there's either a face spanner or a "case cover tool" used for that (Apeks part number AT31A)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom