TX Flower Gardens...too much for just OW cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not recommend this trip for your significant other. You don't state her level of deep experience, but all the dives there are deep (70 feet +). The currents can be ferocious and they can vary tremendously even within a single dive. When I was instructing, I used to know instructors who would try and sell these trips to newly certed OW students. A recipe for disaster. I have been in the FG when the current was so strong, it ripped the masks off of 1/3 of the divers on the descent line. I have also been there when the current was nil and calm as bathwater. I have also had current going one way on the surface and the exact opposite on the bottom. The boat crew is generally good which is a plus, but has been very well stated here, a diver that has to be taken care of by the dive masters shouldn't be diving. And has also been said, if things go wrong, you are a 100 miles from land on a boat by itself. I would recommend a liveaboard trip first with AOW and Nitrox certification.

JMHO,

Dennis

TwoBitTxn:
My opinion....divers who need a DM security blanket are not comfortable enough in the water to go to the gardens. The gardens aren't going anywhere.

TwoBit

Good take, Twobit....maybe some more training and experience.

Regards.

I'd wait. Of course by August she may have over a hundred dives under her belt.

I've had a couple of trips that required a 2 fisted grip on the line, but the current is usually manageable at depth. Aside from worrying about the current, I'd work on navigation skills in the meantime. It's real easy to lose sight of the boat, especially at Stetson. On just about every trip I've taken, there have been divers ending up on the wrong boat. The vis is 100+' so, like Dee said, you can stay within sight of the mooring line.

Hey Karl, we were spoiled rotten on that last trip!

I just joined scubaboard because it was refered to me by a another member who I was trying to talk into going out with me to Flower Gardens, and as I was researching, saw your note.

As to your question about taking your "honey" out there, I would say yes, but with caution. 10-12 dives sounds like there was OW cert dives and then only a few others on top of that. That's not much, especially if they have been in Lake Travis or similiar. FG can be trying and not for brand new certified diver without strong support. You are on your own once you hit the water (they do have divemasters in the water, but they are about 1 to every 8 divers), so as responsible buddy, you need to be able to keep a handle on things for her. The trick is to not get carried away when your there. Navigation skills are probably the most important skill for these trips. Staying close to the boat will still leave you with plenty to see, and once you both feel more comfortable, you can use any of the simple nav methods to wander around.

That said, it is a great dive location, and excellent value for the money. I have been at least 3 times a year over the last 5 years, and plan to continue. And the folks running the boats are very good and push safety above all else. 100+ viz, water in summer months very comfortable, and lot's to see.

Not sure how this board works, but if interested, let me know if you want more info, as we are both in Austin.

Hemlon:
It's just the opposite. I think she would do just fine. She has proven herself to be very competent and level-headed during our dives in Honduras, Cozumel and yes, Lake Travis.

She just isn't sure if she's ready to NOT be within visual distance from a DM. Mind you, I have taken AOW, EFR and I will soon take my rescue course.

I don't want her to do anything she isn't comfortable doing. Thus, my inquiry to gain more info.

Sounds like she needs more experience to be sure she'll have a good time. I agree with some of the other comments; I've seen experienced divers panic and OW divers fresh out of class do okay but that's not the norm.
On the Gulf Diving boats, each shop is required to send along a trip leader who's an insured, certified DM. They are there to dive with their customers who request a helping hand.
I'd suggest she get more diving experience first, then ask her trip leader to give her a guided tour on the first dive at least. There are usually 3 groups on each boat, so 3 trip leaders in the water during the group dive, 2 boat DMs on the surface, and at least one captain on watch.

July and August are the best weather months, when they rarely miss a trip due to weather. Hurricanes make their presence known well in advance, so it's easy to avoid them. If the trip cancels due to weather, you'll ALWAYS get your money back. If the trip aborts due to weather after you're already out there, the compensation is more than fair.

BTW, hammerhead trips start in February. Who's up for some shark diving?

Back
Top Bottom