TX Flower Gardens Hammerhead Trip 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was the information that was provided by the staff that I spoke with-
"in reference to canceling the night dive."
However, I am sure this is a case by case situation based on the diver’s experience.

How were the risks expressed to the divers? Did they sign anything?
I am curious from the position of an ex-instructor trainer.

Were territorial topics covered or exaggerated body posturing?

Thanks Andrew

Crazyduck:
This was the information that was provided by the staff that I spoke with-
"in reference to canceling the night dive."
However, I am sure this is a case by case situation based on the diver’s experience.

How were the risks expressed to the divers? Did they sign anything?
I am curious from the position of an ex-instructor trainer.

Were territorial topics covered or exaggerated body posturing?

Thanks Andrew

When we discussed it with our divers, we tried to persuade them not to go out and most 90% didn't even consider it. Those who did were told various things by the natuarlist on board. He told them what to look for, not to get too far from the stern of the boat or down line and various other things to help them stay safe.

No tigers were seen on the 2nd dive but everyone was a little on edge throughout the dive.

Thank you for your insight and reply.
"not like we are a hard headed bunch" divers that is :D.
I would be in the water myself.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programing.

Thanks again, Andrew

LVX:
When we discussed it with our divers, we tried to persuade them not to go out and most 90% didn't even consider it. Those who did were told various things by the natuarlist on board. He told them what to look for, not to get too far from the stern of the boat or down line and various other things to help them stay safe.

No tigers were seen on the 2nd dive but everyone was a little on edge throughout the dive.

zendiver1:
awap, I beg to differ my friend. It was actually March 04, and the Tiger followed Larry and I back to boat. We never saw it until we were undoing the ladder lines after picking up the strobes. I was in approximately 8' feet of water holding my light on the ladders while Larry was untangling them. YES, the Spree was notified, and the night dive was cancelled. I felt sorry for the other DM's on the Spree, they still had to go and untie and pick up their strobes.

Talking about a wake up call.

Yes, I talked to Larry on a trip a couple weeks after that. Unfortunately, time begins to blur when you get older. I'd have sworn it was just this past winter. I think I'm still feeling the cold from that trip. But thanks, I do remember the year now.

Great! Let's go! Powerheads for everybody!

j/k!

I was planning on doing this trip in early March (when it was just a tad warmer) - all I gots is my trusty 7mm, I think early feb might be a bit too cold for me.

In another post, I heard some advice about not being in open water as far as tigers and bulls are concerned. From what I'm reading here, sounds like if they wanna come and getcha, they're gonna come and getcha regardless of where you are - bottom, surface, open water, or with your back to a coral wall.

D.

zendiver1:
awap, I beg to differ my friend. It was actually March 04, and the Tiger followed Larry and I back to boat. We never saw it until we were undoing the ladder lines after picking up the strobes. I was in approximately 8' feet of water holding my light on the ladders while Larry was untangling them. YES, the Spree was notified, and the night dive was cancelled. I felt sorry for the other DM's on the Spree, they still had to go and untie and pick up their strobes.

Talking about a wake up call.

You were on the Spree that trip, you bozo, I still have dents in the ladder where you beat it with your light cannon trying to get Larry's attention

DUH, sorry Capt. You are right, my mistake. It was Russ and Scott I believe that were the two DM's on the Fling. Damn, I can't believe I made that mistake, sorry. I just don't get to work the Spree that often; an honest mistake. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom