TX Flower Gardens Hammerhead Trip 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awap:
And some folks have the good sense not to try it at night. :D

Yep I know an uphill battle when I see it! I am leader not a follower!!!LOL!!!

LVX:
IThere are many good divers who don't care about certification cards and only have their OW cert who are more than qualified to make these trips. L

Ahh good point! We know that some people don't have their AOW but have hundreds of dives that make them perfectly x\capable of these trips. Last year we had a guy with us that only had 25 dives but was more than capable handling himself.

Daylonious:
My LDS is planning a trip out there March 4-5 and right now I'm planning on going. I did a week-long flower garden trip a couple of years ago during the coral spawning and it was a lot of fun.

Would be great to see hammerheads... maybe a few bulls and tigers...

D.

Daylon, are you kidding me!!!! No bulls and Tigers!!! Very dangerous, you little thrill seeker.....

I'm booked for Feb 4/5. Anyone else booking these dates?

I understand you have better chances of hammerhead activity with the cooler temps. Of course, the weather can be dicey too at that time.

Richard

If a tiger sharks shows up-
They will cancel the night dive and probably move locations. I just feel sorry for the divemaster they send in to pull the light markers. :D

To my understanding ‘second hand info’ tigers have been known to follow divers back to the dive boat. They are not... scared away by bubbles.

This was one of the things that was observed in Hawaii. Juvenile tigers do not mess with human but when they are full grown all bets are off. Besides they are swimming trash cans as it is.

Full grown tigers are not exactly worried about divers and hence the problem- curiosity.

Nice to see but it raises the stakes of what is appropriate for the skill level of the diver. This also changes entries and exits.

Andrew

Crazyduck:
If a tiger sharks shows up-
They will cancel the night dive and probably move locations. I just feel sorry for the divemaster they send in to pull the light markers. :D

The few times we did see tiger sharks out there, they did not cancel the night dive nor did they move locations. They talked to the trip leaders and each of us talked to our divers making sure they understood the risk. After the talk, there were only a handful of divers who wanted to make the night dive. I was definitely one of them.

L

LVX:
The few times we did see tiger sharks out there, they did not cancel the night dive nor did they move locations. They talked to the trip leaders and each of us talked to our divers making sure they understood the risk. After the talk, there were only a handful of divers who wanted to make the night dive. I was definitely one of them.

L

I understand that last year (FEB 05) the Spree cancelled the night dive after a tiger shark approached to within 15 ft of a diver moving from the rest stop to the ladder line on the last pm dive. The diver never saw it.

awap, I beg to differ my friend. It was actually March 04, and the Tiger followed Larry and I back to boat. We never saw it until we were undoing the ladder lines after picking up the strobes. I was in approximately 8' feet of water holding my light on the ladders while Larry was untangling them. YES, the Spree was notified, and the night dive was cancelled. I felt sorry for the other DM's on the Spree, they still had to go and untie and pick up their strobes.

Talking about a wake up call.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom