TX Clipper Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was very seasick on my first trip to the Flower Gardens. I was afraid I might have to be lifted out of there if I couldn't keep some fluids down. Luckily Capt Frank had a watch that he lent me and belive it or not, it fixed me right up within an hour of putting it on! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't been there. Here's a link to it: Motion Sickness Relief;motion sickness,motion,sickness,motion sickness medicine:motion sickness bracelet, motion sickness remedy, motion sickness cure, motion sickness patch, motion sickness remedy,drug free
Now I take Dramamine or Bonine before a trip. I didn't like the Scope patches.

Very sorry that happened to you, it sucks a lot.

Man that really blows (chucks). Sorry to hear about the mal-de-mer.

K-valve, were you the one in the blue skin laying on the bench on the bow Saturday? I was the one in yellow doubles finishing wreck penetration instructor. Over the three days of diving while there, you had lots of company. Seas were 4-6 each day. Of course, the day I leave, seas were 1-3 and the group dove blue water. You will do better next time.

Seas were calm on the way out of port, but unfortunately it didn’t last. By the time we were above the Clipper, a quarter of the divers were feelin’ the wooze; I know I was stumbling around trying to get it together for the dive. In all truthfulness, I’d say diving that day was mediocre at best, and if Capt. Tim had known seas would be 4-6, the trip would have probably been a “no-go.”

K-valve is correct in that you could easily see the deep blue in the distance, marking the good vis ½ mile away, but as luck would have it (or not), that’s where it stayed on this run. Those that were not feeling ill were split into two groups for guided dives to help keep from getting lost on the wreck, a very wise call by Capt. Tim. We dropped down the line and hit the wreck at around 60’, just above the cold and murky thermocline below.

I was amazed at how much growth the wreck had considering its short time down since November. Fish were abundant, hanging out just above the muck at 70’. We went for a quick loop on a small portion of the starboard bow, and then returned to the line to allow those divers already low on air to ascend. I pretty much hung out near the line, not daring to venture further in such crappy conditions. While not able to fully appreciate the size of the Clipper, 2nd largest wreck in the US I’m told, it certainly had significant magnitude as it disappeared into the gloom.

2nd dive was a bit better, with the murky water level deeper than before. This allowed us to cruise the promenade a bit and peer into a bathroom complete w/ sink and toilet. We then swam through some outer deck passages, with nothing too dark or restrictive overhead. I shot some video and took some pics, but none of it was worth posting. I was impressed at how well the ship had been prepped for divers, with minimal entanglement hazards visable and large holes cut for diver access. On a good vis day, this wreck would be awesome to explore, especially if able to see more of her 500’+ length.

We headed for a nearby gas rig looking for better vis on dive 3. It was a new rig for Capt. Tim, and it turned out to be unmanned. This has a unique dis-advantage to those staying aboard as there is an automatic electronic bell or siren that sounds every 30 seconds to comply with regulations to make it audible to vessels even in the dark; they were pretty loud.

I’ve got to give K-valve serious props for making the 3rd dive under those conditions, and of all the sick divers, he was the only one to do so, for better or worse. His dive description was accurate: not the best rig, but some nice stuff to focus in on the beams. I tried to get things going a bit with some old hot-dogs that’d been in my bag for some time, but the fish weren’t having any, except for a few hyper active ones which upon first bite, could not get enough; I guess they don’t know a good meal like those at ol’ lake Travis… or perhaps it’s the other way around :crafty:

It was a long ride back for all, and I was glad to finally reach port. After rinsing and hanging our gear, we had a nice visit with Tim and crew back in the shop. Tim has led an amazing dive career both commercially, and as a major contributor to many dive expeditions worldwide and is fortunate enough to have not only been part of many great dive teams, but is still alive and well to pass his enthusiasm on to others. If you get a chance, I’d suggest saying hello… you might learn a thing or two. Either way, his operation is solid and the customer service at American Diving was excellent.

Next time, I’ll go back when I know the MS Muck is less likely :wink:

Last edited:
Great report guys. Thanks for keeping us all up to date on the Clipper. Too bad the pics and video didn't turn out.

Capt. Tim and crew are indeed top notch, with safety of the divers first and foremost, followed by making sure the divers have an enjoyable time, seasickness not withstanding.

I was on the first sport diver trip they did last summer and was sick the whole time, and dove anyway! It really is true, you can still breath on your first stage while expelling through it. It's better under the water, cool and calm! I will take my meds on time next time! Any dive is a good dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom