TX Clipper Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k-valve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, the bottom line is that I don't have one. While Brandon and Shawn M. were diving the Clipper I was topside puking. :shakehead: My first, and hopefully my last, time getting seasick. I'll tell you what though, I'll never tease anyone about tossing their cookies on the boat again!

I "heard" the viz on the TX Clipper was right at about Lake Travis levels and that the culprit was most likely the flooding Mississippi River. Of course, they might have been just being nice so I didn't feel any worse than I already did. :wink: Zinc made two dives on the wreck, so he might be able to shed a little more light on the subject. I know the viz was bad enough that they sent a guide with both groups on both dives. That's never a good sign.

It was easy to see where the blue water and the muck met out there. In fact, the blue water was starting to push the muddy stuff back toward shore. You could see the change in the short time we were out there.

I did suck it up and jump in the water on the last dive of the day which was a rig dive. I threw up before I got in the water and again when I got out, but it was nice to have a little relief once I was underwater far enough to escape the tossing and turning. :) Nothing too special about the rig dive on this day. A school of gray snapper and a handful of nice sized baracuda. Apparently, there were some dolphins spotted near the surface, but as you can imagine I was staying far away from any wave action.

Water temps were in the upper 70s near the surface, but at around 40'-50' there was a distinct thermocline that separated the turbid water from the clearer stuff. The rig was only in 130' of water.

The most interesting sea life was the smaller fishes that lived on the legs and braces of the rig...blennies were abundant, but there were also hermit crabs and a large variety of small fish and fry of larger species. If my camera had been working I would have come back with plenty of macro shots.

This was also my first time meeting Tim O'Leary...who I had heard plenty of stories about. The bottom line for me was that I liked the guy. He was easy to talk to, gave plenty of good advice to the divers, and was super concerned with everyone's well-being...even those of us who couldn't keep our breakfast down. :wink: He was all about customer service and so was the crew. No one could ask for more.

I'll definitely be heading back (with sea sick medication in pocket) to try the dive again. I will be keeping an eye on the Capt's Log they post on American Diving's website though. Once the viz clears up I'll be down that way again.

Thanks for the non-report. :wink: Too bad you spent the trip :11: I've got a bottle of the stuff Tim recommends. It worked pretty well for me when I was on his boat.

We'll have to keep an eye on the weather in the mid-west, to figure when we might see some relief. PLEASE, let's not start another debate about what is the true cause of poor vis in S. Texas. :D

I've still got room on the Aug 2nd trip, hopefully, the vis will clear up by then. By then, you'll have your cave cert and can give a report of the inside of the Clipper :eyebrow:

I agree that Tim runs a top notch operation. His experience, background and knowledge make him an interesting person to talk to.

Well, the bottom line is that I don't have one. While Brandon and Shawn M. were diving the Clipper I was topside puking. :shakehead: My first, and hopefully my last, time getting seasick. I'll tell you what though, I'll never tease anyone about tossing their cookies on the boat again!

Thats just to cute... With all your brainy like stuff Id figure youd correlate boat, waves, and possible sea sickness :D And now Ill shut up because I just remembered my first boat trip...but I didnt toss anything :D

John,, sorry you were sick...'been there done that'....I now use little pills....still no guarantee though.

Thanks for the information on the charter and conditions you guys had.....yea I am hoping it clears as this crazy weather season moves on.

Glad you did get wet on the rig....probably felt good to hit the water in gear.

I'm really fortunate in that I have never been seasick in my life (figure I must have Viking blood in me)
Was on a FG trip a few years ago with my wife and I thought she was going to die.Never seen anyone look as ill as that before. Her mistake was only taking seasick meds when she started to feel bad. Start the Meds well before you get on the boat !!!

Man, K-Valve, that just sucks. :yuck: Yep, I use sea sick meds, and as luck would have it, have never been sea sick. Sometimes you just have to learn the hardway.:fishslap:

A boat captain once told me, why chance it? It's $5.00 worth of pills to save a $$$ trip. Still a good report. I will get down there this summer.

Sorry to hear about your sea UGH!! sickness episode. I've been one Diver 1 countless times and have dove the gulf when it's been beautiful and really spectacular. :)

Back
Top Bottom