two scubapro questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bnelson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
one, does anyone know anything about the new mk17?

and two, do any of you all have a s600 and an x650? which do you like better?

-bri

I switched ot the Mk 17 after using Mk 20's and Mk 25's. For doubles hose routing I really prefer the Mk 17.

I also prefer the Mk 17 for it's bullet proof extreme cold water performance. It survived a high flow rate test in 35 degree water at 165 ft for 200 minutes (the end of the test). In comparison the Legend Supreme (a very good cold water reg) lasted about 30 minutes before freeflowing.

Performance wise, the 177 scfm flow rate of the Mk 17 is more than adequate for any tehcnical mixed gas or deep air diving purpose and I have noted no difference in performance in the water compared to my Mk 20 and 25's.

It is a very good first stage and is in my opinion the Apeks killer that Scubpro has needed the last few years.

I am not a real S600 fan if it is paired with a Mk 25 as I dive primarily cold water and that combination seems to have a higher incidence of freeze ups in extremely cold water (40 degrees or colder). However, a frequent dive buddy of mine has used an S600 with Mk 16 and Mk 17 frst stages and has had no problems at all with freeze ups, compared to the several he had with the Mk 25 S600 combination on identical dives.

I am also a big fan of the G250HP. It offers performance identical to the S600 but for less money and it's cold water reputation is a lot better.

I have an X650 that has done extremely well in ice diving and extreme cold water diving to 150' and overall I prefer the design to the S600. It also won my very recent competition as to what second stage to put on my Kirby-Morgan full face mask. For whatever reason, it performed better than any other SP second stage I tried including the D400. So the Mk 17 X650 will be the primary reg for next season.

The MK 17 X650 is in my opinion the best regulator package Scuabpro sells at the moment and I cannot think of any regulator I would rather buy from any company currently.

DA Aquamaster:
For doubles hose routing I really prefer the Mk 17.

DA, could you please, please post pictures when you have a chance, please!

I am currently diving a MK25/X650 and love it. I've tried a MK25/S600 and loved it too. In my biased opinion, Scubapro regs are the best breathers out there. I've owned lots of regs and tried lots of regs and still think SP's are the best. One thing about Scubapro that you don't see with others is you can get any combination of firsts and seconds you want.

I am currently diving a MK17/S600. Absolutely love the regs and ScubaPro's customer support has been awesome. Can't think of one good reason to buy another brand of regulator unless you want one sold as "as good as a ScubaPro".

Vie:
DA, could you please, please post pictures when you have a chance, please!

Poor Vie......:06:

Scuba Cowboy:
I am currently diving a MK25/X650 and love it. I've tried a MK25/S600 and loved it too. In my biased opinion, Scubapro regs are the best breathers out there. I've owned lots of regs and tried lots of regs and still think SP's are the best. One thing about Scubapro that you don't see with others is you can get any combination of firsts and seconds you want.

I also have several ScubaPro regs with all tools.. There are other brand regs that are comparable to SP in performance wise. Apeks and Atomic are also wonderful regs........

I agree that MK25/S600 is much vulnerable to the cold water. I have experienced during the deep diving. The MK25/G250HP is the better option for a cold water rigs...

I am thinking about the combination of MK17/G250HP instead of MK17/X650.

BTW, where can I get MK17? I don't know anybody has it in stock... I have tried to get MK17 DIN from diveinn though. The DIN has been sold out and there is only a yoke.....LOL~~~

I have been diving the 25/600 for 3 years with flawless performance, I have friends who bought the 25/650 and have had nothing but problems (maybe the 2006 is better) as for the scubapro brand, their entry level is better than a lot of others top end items. I dive every weekend and my 25/600 stands up to the test for this instructor. This is premium life support equipment, tried and proven.

I dive the mk25 with the 600s and love it....light and durable...love the ability to adjust air draw.....most of the international shops I have dive with use scuba pro...see ya` under

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom