Two questions, please.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
One: Does anyone out there besides me have a problem with their BC riding too high, causing the first stage to hit you in the back of the head? I have had this problem with several different BC's and can't seem to figure out how to fix it. I've tried adjusting the shoulder straps to lengthen it, but then the velcro part is below my natural waistline so it just rides up once I get under water. (I'm 5'4" so I'm a little on the short side, but not THAT short!)

Two: I use a weight belt and don't mind not having integrated weights EXCEPT that: once I'm horizontal, the belt slides to the smallest part of my waist. This causes me to arch my back slightly, making it harder to swim and resulting in a sore lower back the next day. I achieve neutral buoyancy more easily with the weights a little lower, almost around my hips, but of course they won't stay there.

Any suggestions?

Ever try a backplate/wing setup? It comes with a crotch strap which would certainly solve your problem with the BC riding up. Maybe you could design a crotch strap to fit on your existing BC.

Integrated weights in the BC might help your second issue, although I don't know what type of BC you have or if it can hold integrated weights.

Debbie,

During my initial confined water dives I was using a diveshop loaner and had the problem you are describing. In fact, when I performed the "giant stride entry" the first stage actually did hit me in the back of the head, causing quite a large lump....ouch that hurt!

I solved the problem by:

1.) Purchased my own BC that actually fit me properly with an integrated weight belt, including rear pockets for trim weight.

2.) Set the tank up...lower... in relation to the BC harness, giving me plenty of clearance when I tilted my head back.

I haven't had any more problems.

Good luck!!!! Hope this helps.

Jimbo

DDD, a weight integrated BC is going to solve all of your problems. There are plenty of good brands designed specifically for women. Not only will it fit better, but it will distribute the weight better and save you some back pain. It's a win-win solution.

Sea you in the Deep Blue!

An answer to both problems might be a HP steel 80, deb. It's about the size of an AL 65, and can be pumped to about 3500 psi.

1) Shorter tank. You can adjust it easier to your height so it doesn't wind up hitting you in the back of your head all the time! The DIN style tank valve also tends to be a little more "flush" with the tank than the regular yoke valve.

2) It's about 4-6 lbs negative even when empty.... so you can take weight off your belt!

~SubMariner~

DDD, If anything,that's an interesting name. I agree with Mario, you need a BC that fits you. When you get one that fits, the problems that you're having will go away. As a short term fix, try shifting some weight from your weight belt to the pockets on your BC. This will help to take some of the pressure off your back. Also, instead of swimming in a head's up position, you'll find yourself in a more neutral trim position which will allow you to move more efficently through the water, use less air, and increase bottom time. Dive Safely Debbie.
:tree:Bob

Hey Debbie,

Well - sure go buy something - no matter what BC you have - there is a little loop of webing that goes around the neck of your tank... you with me?
Adjust this to be shorter - now your tank will ride lower on your back and you will not be needing scalp massages everytime you go diving (although you may consider that a hidden benefit).

Weights - as they said - can you move some to pockets? Are you diving your own BC - what kind? I have a number of female friends who highly recommend the Dive Rite TranspacII, this is what I dive as well.

More info and you'll get more answers... How much weight are you wearing? Where are you at?

Cheers,
Dane

Thanks to each of you who responded to my questions. In trying to be brief, maybe I was TOO brief and didn't provide enough information.

I have a US Diver "Calypso SBC" model BC, but I had the same problem with rental gear before I bought this one. (My diving instructor used to call me "no neck" because I always complained about the tank hitting my head even before I got my certification!) He, too, recommended using a smaller tank, which I do when they're available. However, a lot of the dive boats we go out on (in the Florida Keys, which is where I almost always dive) don't carry the shorter tanks. The smaller tanks helps somewhat, but I think the crotch strap may be my solution. I've been diving for four years and have never, ever, seen anyone wearing one. Are they standard equipment at the dive shops? (Maybe they're more common up north?)

Regarding the weights: my last dive I wore a 3-mil shortie (yes, even in the Keys!) and used 12 lbs of weights. I'm curious about the integrated weights: don't they also fit around your waist (more or less) because of the location of the weight pockets in the BC? Anyone know anthing about leg weights? The divemaster on our last dive said that they seem to work better for women in general, but I haven't ever seen anyone wearing them, either.

I'm really enjoying this website--appreciate the input from people who have been there and done it.

Thanks again,

DDD

I'm not at all familiar with your particular BC as I dive a plate and wing which has a crotch strap and it keeps the tanks down (especially AL 80's). I just threw that out as a possibility for ya.
I'd reckon you'd have make your own somehow using 1" nylon webbing and a sewing maching. Mine is from Halcyon and has grommets for adjusting with nuts and bolts. They're easy to make like this, but a local seamstress could do it for you too. Might check out Halycons website and dealers to see if you can simply buy one and make it work your BC.

Good Luck.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom