Two questions--Belize Aggressor/Sundancer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.....You want decently made luggage that isn't going to fall apart. But I see plenty of people (not me) using unwheeled duffels - they do tend to start lighter without all the structure/wheels/handles sucking up your weight allowance, not to mention less expensive. If by "sturdy" you mean hard-sided, that's definitely not a requirement. Most scuba gear is pretty sturdy and will be perfectly fine in a carefully packed softside bag. People do it all the time. (I have for over 20 years.)

Occasionally a liveaboard will have a place to store luggage on shore as you experienced, but usually they are going to store it in a variety of places on the boat. Most boats have all sorts of holds and storage places that aren't obvious until they open them. (Do make sure you remove anything from your luggage you might conceivably want for the duration of the trip, as your luggage could wind up very inaccessible, like in a hold under 20 other bags.) Pretty much any liveaboard will discourage hard luggage - if too many people brought large hard luggage they'd probably have a problem stashing it all. If there are just a couple suitcases like that it seems most are able to manage. But I'd say it's better not to be the person bringing it - borrow something more appropriate if you can, and invest in something if you will do more liveaboards.

Some cabins will actually have enough space to stash at least some of your luggage. We tend to keep at least our carryon bags in the cabin, especially if we have a top unused bunk to put them - they make great extra "drawers" for all your random little stuff.

Thanks for the information. I'm a woman and believe I should be able to haul my own gear, so I have wheeled luggage (not as young as I once was). I just replaced my old rolling dive bag with an Osprey Shuttle wheeled bag. It's fantastic and can compress to lie flat. Plus it's sturdy and they repair it for free if anything goes wrong. Lightweight too. I've never had any problems taking my gear all over the world. My concern was that there would be space to store bags where they won't be in the way.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

That Osprey bag looks very much like the Eagle Creek bags we've been using for a long time which have worked out great. And as mentioned, the Sundancer has a lot of storage space so no problem. The Aggressor (I've only toured not traveled on it) is a somewhat smaller boat but I still wouldn't expect any problem.

I think its important to be transparent with the chef/kitchen staff about (exactly) what you can and cannot eat. They're not dieticians and shouldn't be expected to fully understand medical dietary restrictions. I was a resort last week and one of the divers gave a detailed typed list to the kitchen of what she CANNOT eat. They took great care of her, often making her a complete other entree. I have several friends with various levels of gluten intolerance...all diagnosed. But even some with a diagnosis choose to eat wheat. Sort of like a diabetic who caves to an ice cream craving. Everyone I know with Celiac's can't eat gluten foods like pasta, bread, etc but many can accomodate small amounts (like some four in a sauce to thicken it). Another friend is so highly sensitive she would get very sick (and be in a lot of pain) from that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom