Two questions--Belize Aggressor/Sundancer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bratface

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have made many dives but have only one liveaboard experience and that was on Blackbeard's when I was a new diver. I am planning a trip to Belize and read Drrich2's excellent review of the Belize Sundancer. Makes me want vacation time to come faster.

I do have a question concerning storage of bags. The Sundancer/Aggressor fleet recommends soft luggage which is no problem for my clothes and other essentials, but we all know that dive gear is heavy and expensive. it requires sturdy, wheeled luggage. I remember on Blackbeard's we kept rolling bags in a storage building on the dock (this was when they sailed from Miami). My question is, where are dive bags kept on the Sundance/Aggressor out of Belize?

My other question is about the food. I am a gluten cripple--for real, got all the tests to prove it. Does anyone have any experience with special diets aboard liveaboards (in my case, it's gluten-free)? I read the menu and it looks like it will be limiting for me and no desserts. I know they take requests but did anyone actually dine with people who had dietary restrictions?

Thanks for your input.

I can't speak to this specific destination, but on other similar boats, roller bags like the Akona bags etc were pretty common and stuffed away in various cubby-holes on board. A full sized hard case would likely be problematic.

My only experience with diets has been with vegans and vegetarians and there were no issues. The Aggressor folks put on a fine spread, but I suggest you contact them directly to have them assure you that they can meet your needs. It would be hard to be dive and be doubled over at the same time. My guess is that they will graciously accommodate you, but best to get it from the horse's mouth...

Great diving in that area... you're in for a treat!

My question is, where are dive bags kept on the Sundance/Aggressor out of Belize?
On the boat. Depending on boat/cabin level chosen some will have under bed storage, some have closets, as mentioned above there's cubbys everywhere also. Most useable empty space on a boat that size has a door on it.

I've been on a boat very similar to the Dancer in design/age. In the front part of the top deck there were storage holds the width of the boat in addition to everywhere else. Reading the know b4 you go, it appears they'd like you to bring bags you can flatten and store in your cabin if possible.

I have one similar to one of these (the larger ones): Rolling Duffel Bags - Wheeled Duffels - FREE SHIPPING - eBags.com

It holds my BC, suit, fins, extra everything and most of my clothes. Nothing has ever been damaged in transit and it's held up really well the past decade. I only fly to dive so it's been all over. Carry-on your regs, mask, computer and a change or two of clothes. If your luggage doesn't make it, Aggressor has loaners on board. They're an Aqualung partner so it's pretty good stuff.

A photographer brought one of those huge Pelican cases on one trip, to accommodate him it was stored outside the lounge door in a corner. He didn't make any new friends that week as 3-4 people kicked it. Since you're generally asked to be barefoot...:depressed: - don't be that guy.

It's not Blackbeards, the boat is twice as long, twice as wide and 2-3 decks taller. You won't have a problem.

Last edited:
Tell them you have celiac disease. Really, it matters. I run a liveaboard, and folks tell us they are gluten free, so we jump out our butts to make them something they can eat, then they graze on biscuits and gravy for breakfast with and sandwiches for lunch and lasagna for dinner. Then they tell us we made them fat, so we tend to ignore gluten free requests.

If, however, you really are gluten free and you aren't on some fad diet, most liveaboards (including us) will bend over backwards to serve you. Remember, you aren't in North America, you can't go to the store and buy gluten free bread and snacks in Belize city. It's a real chore for the chef to feed you properly. Treat them with great kindness for taking care of you. It's as much work to feed one as it is to feed the other 15. You just doubled his workload.

I know they take requests but did anyone actually dine with people who had dietary restrictions?

On that Sun Dancer 2 trip, I recall there were several vegetarians and a vegan, and everybody seemed happy. I don't recall anybody complaining about the food. I didn't hear anybody mention celiac disease on our trip.

I didn't use my hard case suitcase, but I took a full size suitcase (gear) and a medium (but still checked baggage size) suitcase (clothes, some med.s, etc...), both Samsonite standup roller bags, and had no issues. When they were empty, I put them in the hallway outside the room, and a crew member moved them to wherever bags are stored. They returned at the end of the week when needed.

Richard.

While it's good not to be unnecessarily fussy or inflexible, all the boats I've been on have been very good about catering to dietary requirements and requests. Often it amazes me what they can accomplish. Best to let them know sooner rather than later to give them more chance to get things that may be harder to come by in their location. You might ask if there is anything you should bring that would help, and perhaps even take along a few things anyway - if it doesn't get used leave it - it will make room for souvenirs and they might appreciate having it for the next celiac on board.

The Sundancer/Aggressor fleet recommends soft luggage which is no problem for my clothes and other essentials, but we all know that dive gear is heavy and expensive. it requires sturdy, wheeled luggage.
Not really. You want decently made luggage that isn't going to fall apart. But I see plenty of people (not me) using unwheeled duffels - they do tend to start lighter without all the structure/wheels/handles sucking up your weight allowance, not to mention less expensive. If by "sturdy" you mean hard-sided, that's definitely not a requirement. Most scuba gear is pretty sturdy and will be perfectly fine in a carefully packed softside bag. People do it all the time. (I have for over 20 years.)

Occasionally a liveaboard will have a place to store luggage on shore as you experienced, but usually they are going to store it in a variety of places on the boat. Most boats have all sorts of holds and storage places that aren't obvious until they open them. (Do make sure you remove anything from your luggage you might conceivably want for the duration of the trip, as your luggage could wind up very inaccessible, like in a hold under 20 other bags.) Pretty much any liveaboard will discourage hard luggage - if too many people brought large hard luggage they'd probably have a problem stashing it all. If there are just a couple suitcases like that it seems most are able to manage. But I'd say it's better not to be the person bringing it - borrow something more appropriate if you can, and invest in something if you will do more liveaboards.

Some cabins will actually have enough space to stash at least some of your luggage. We tend to keep at least our carryon bags in the cabin, especially if we have a top unused bunk to put them - they make great extra "drawers" for all your random little stuff.

Last edited:
What Wookie said! and bring some of your own snacks. I have been on a couple trips with gluten free people and the boats seem to have the hardest time with snacks! One person brought her own box of cereal.

I have some food allergies and I told them about them in advance before we went on the T&C Aggressor a few years ago. They made sure that there was an alternative choice for me at any meals that were likely to present a problem.

Tell them you have celiac disease. Really, it matters. I run a liveaboard, and folks tell us they are gluten free, so we jump out our butts to make them something they can eat, then they graze on biscuits and gravy for breakfast with and sandwiches for lunch and lasagna for dinner. Then they tell us we made them fat, so we tend to ignore gluten free requests.

If, however, you really are gluten free and you aren't on some fad diet, most liveaboards (including us) will bend over backwards to serve you. Remember, you aren't in North America, you can't go to the store and buy gluten free bread and snacks in Belize city. It's a real chore for the chef to feed you properly. Treat them with great kindness for taking care of you. It's as much work to feed one as it is to feed the other 15. You just doubled his workload.

Wookie, I am sure it is maddening to see people who claim to need a gluten free diet and then watch them eat everything on the menu. I would want to throw them overboard. It is equally maddening to us who have celiac disease to hear comments like, "if you really are gluten free" or have a server roll their eyes at us. I'm not the kind who asks 20 questions about how the food is prepared. I just order sandwiches without the bread and that works out pretty good for me. I don't need a fancy cake, just a piece of fruit and some ice cream would be nice. You make it sound like it is a huge pain in the butt to feed someone who has a special dietary requirement. I think everyone who is paying good money for a vacation should be able to have all the benefits without feeling like they are being judged or are a bother to the staff. You really made me feel bad for a fleeting moment, that I am making them do the work of 15 to just feed me and I, of all people (a paying guest) just doubled the work load. :rolleyes: And just so you know, ignoring my request for a special diet will make my lips swell, crack and peel off plus have other skin issues. It's very painful and not a good thing at all, especially on a dive trip where the regulator has to go in my mouth. It's not all about stomach problems. Then you say to tell them I have celiac disease because, "really it matters", but then comment later "so we tend to ignore gluten free requests". I would hope you wouldn't ignore a diabetic's request for special meals or mine either.

I also live on an island in the Caribbean. I know quite well about the shortage of gluten-free foods and the price. I have stopped eating gluten free bread because unless it is toasted to a nice crispy brown, it falls apart while you are eating it and has the texture of birdseed--not that I have eaten birdseed, but at $9 a loaf for 14 slices of bread not much larger than a playing card, it's just not worth it. It's easier to just eat plain foods and call it a day. That is all I was inquiring about. Please reevaluate how you think about people who truly cannot eat anything with gluten.

---------- Post added May 25th, 2015 at 10:08 PM ----------

What Wookie said! and bring some of your own snacks. I have been on a couple trips with gluten free people and the boats seem to have the hardest time with snacks! One person brought her own box of cereal.

I plan to bring my own snack. Glutino makes pretzels that taste better than the regular kind. Most people with restrictions carry some amount of their own food or they often go hungry. I just can't take fresh fruit off of my island when I travel so having a variety available would make me happy.

i can only speak to the sundancer.

it has inifinite space to store empty luggage. most (all?) of the floor mounted beds have a crawl space underneath in which you can jam your bag. failing that, there is an extremely large stuff space forward on the topmost deck (flybridge?). so no worries. take as much as you want.

if you have special dietary needs they can handle them, but only if they know AND ARE CONFIRMED well in advance. in general there is at least 1 special needs dietary person on every trip i have been on. but make sure the actual boat crew is aware. this may require that you inform the booking agent, head office, boat captain, etc several times before your trip. once the boat leaves the dock, there are no shopping options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom