Two New SCUBA Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of the offshore dives here that I've been to are in the 65' - 75' range. Vis has been pretty bad lately, though. I was out there on July 7th and vis was about 5' and current was about a knot. Enough to push you around and let you drift but not enough to throw you off the wreck. I've seen barracuda, cobia and rays out there. They bought us lunch at Safe Harbor when we got back to make up for the vis.

My favorite spring here is Blue Grotto. Large shallow area (up to 50') with platforms if you want to practice skills. I try to dive that during the week (usually someone from SB will dive with me if I post up) to avoid the crowds. I'm diving in the Bahamas this weekend and have to go to the mountains the 2 weekends after that. After that, though, let me know.

Now that you've jumped into the water, it's time to take care of the important stuff. . . Keep your wife comfortable! A lot of women drop out of diving because of the fit of equipment. Help her find a really good fitting wetsuit. . . A custom fit, with custom colors is a great bargain if necessary to keep her warm. A BC designed for women that fits her body type is critical for a good fit. If you buy tanks, make sure her tanks are the smaller (shorter) styles.

Just one dive with the tank flopping around behind her, or a cold jet of water down her back. . . and her diving might be over. . . and your diving may be in jeapordy. If moma aint happy. . . aint nooo body happy.

In the beginning dives, with just the two of you, try some shallow beach entry locations and just watch the bubbles, and fiddle with your gear to adjust the comfort. That's enough for your dive plan. Next dive, watch the bubbles and maybe watch the fish, watching you. Take a lot of small steps, before you dive the shipwrecks, or go out to spear Moby Dick. Welcome to diving, you can keep diving into your 80's.

mudhole:
Now that you've jumped into the water, it's time to take care of the important stuff. . . Keep your wife comfortable! A lot of women drop out of diving because of the fit of equipment. Help her find a really good fitting wetsuit. . . A custom fit, with custom colors is a great bargain if necessary to keep her warm. A BC designed for women that fits her body type is critical for a good fit. If you buy tanks, make sure her tanks are the smaller (shorter) styles.

Don't I know it.. We already got her a proper fitting wetsuit, and you're right it made a big difference in her happiness/comfort in the water. I will be ordering her a Zeagle Zena later this week.. We weren't planning on buying tanks right now, do most places rent smaller than al80 tanks? She did the check dives with a 63 from our LDS, so at least I know I can get them from their, but would rather rent them at the place we're diving instead of hauling them along...

I know a lot of women who dive with the Zena and they love it. I agree, fit is very important. I was using my BF's BC last year that just didn't fit me right at all and I struggled with it all the time. It was a very frustrating first year of diving for me. Now that I have my own BC designed to fit me, I am much more comfortable under water. It's a distraction she doesn't need either.

Congratulations to both of you.

That BCD R&R certainly did more to build your confidence and demonstrate your composure than an uneventful one would have.

Happy & Safe frequent diving,
Pete

Well done on getting the certs done. Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom