Two German divers drown at Gran Cenote Kalimba at Tulum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the update! Looking forward to the report, by the sounds of it you have put in significant effort into its quality to ensure the community can learn from this accident. Thanks again for that.

But for an diver who isn’t a certified cave diver, a guide/DM should be engaged. But that does not guarantee safety, there have been fairly recent fatalities where a guide was involved.

Know this is an old post, but if your are not cave certified you schould not be cave diving - guide or not. If you are newly certified cave diver or need a buddy a guide is a good thing.

Know this is an old post, but if your are not cave certified you schould not be cave diving - guide or not. If you are newly certified cave diver or need a buddy a guide is a good thing.
No reputable guide would take a diver who is not cave certified on a cave dive. There are some well-prescribed exceptions - a cave instructor can teach one level up, that is, take a cavern certified diver on an introductory cave dive, like what he or she would do on the first day of an intro cave course. And in MX, there are some well-defined cavern dives with strict rules that are accessible to OW divers with qualified guides. But otherwise, I don’t see it happening that guides are routinely take unqualified divers into caves, and if someone does he should be reported and booted out of the profession.

Here is the report. I'll be around a bit to answer questions if they pop up. I do not normally frequent scubaboard much so if you do not get a reply quote me in the thread or send a pm so I get a notification.

Attachments

• Double Fatality Calimba 2018 - final report.pdf
    700.3 KB · Views: 1,695

Back
Top Bottom