Two fishermen sentenced for possessing protected sea bass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe during their community service they should wear a sandwich board with a picture of the fish they killed.

An angler should be able to identify most fish he or she is likely to catch. They should know the fish & game laws for them as well.

To say we don't have enough money in the state coffers to enforce fish & game laws (especially in the newly designated MPAs) would be enough impetus to give folks like these a REALLY stiff fine both as a deterrent to them and others and to build up the funds to do the enforcement job properly.

Of course if you make the risks substantial enough, there will be less of this happening in the first place.

We had a local fisherman shoot and kill five sea lions and even shoot at humans. He was given a pretty light fine and sentence given what code allows for.

As part of his sentence he should have been required to skin and butcher out these sea lions and eat some of it himself and donate the rest (with him paying cold shipping fees) to Inuit children in Alaska or the Northern Provinces of Canada.

But frankly, these sea lions have become the slugs of the sea and are devastating our salmon and now our sturgeons in front of the dams in Oregon. They should be harvested, not protected. By our "protecting" them, the sea lions have lost their natural fear of men and we are keeping them separate from their own food chain - the orcas/killer whales. Fish and Game knows this, but our Governmental system is not working very well - but you can't take the law into your own hands.

this just sickens me. What a beautiful animal, and lost for some trophy shots.

an interesting emotional grabber. because we dive we think all fishermen should know laws and regs before issued license(s). it's like drivers licensed issued to drivers that make fatal mistakes, throughtout time. yea i can be a tear jerker, the black sea bass, and trying to figure how many people passed by the natural selection to produce the number of folks gathered on the shore to watch the black sea bass being killed without "knowing." how did that group gather in such a number without one knowing the law? or the "ethical thing?" how we see this can't be any different than the micro environment we kill no matter how small it appears while we dive either by walking across delicate reef to get in and out, or by travelling by boat which kills by dissolving deadly gasses into the very pristine waters that the black sea bass requires at this time in evolution to survive?? we seem, to overlook the big picture, only because us divers don't kill a black sea bass on accident, we do take our toll on other inocent life. laws are laws, ethics are entirely a different thing. are we exempt? no. its called life.

All fine, except for the fact that in the videos you can hear people on the pier telling them it's a black sea bass. Also, licensed drivers are expected to know the rules of the road. You can't run a stop sign and run over a baby, then tell the traffic cop you didn't know you had to stop. Anyone dropping a hook in the water or firing a bullet towards an animal in the woods should know what they can and cannot kill.

Last edited:
an interesting emotional grabber. because we dive we think all fishermen should know laws and regs before issued license(s). it's like drivers licensed issued to drivers that make fatal mistakes, throughtout time. yea i can be a tear jerker, the black sea bass, and trying to figure how many people passed by the natural selection to produce the number of folks gathered on the shore to watch the black sea bass being killed without "knowing." how did that group gather in such a number without one knowing the law? or the "ethical thing?" how we see this can't be any different than the micro environment we kill no matter how small it appears while we dive either by walking across delicate reef to get in and out, or by travelling by boat which kills by dissolving deadly gasses into the very pristine waters that the black sea bass requires at this time in evolution to survive?? we seem, to overlook the big picture, only because us divers don't kill a black sea bass on accident, we do take our toll on other inocent life. laws are laws, ethics are entirely a different thing. are we exempt? no. its called life.

Actually, as I understand it, by law they ARE supposed to.

I looked at various sportfishing bulletin boards and they are all outraged by the small fine.

I know a number of our local anglers are very protective of the giant sea bass. Several have jumped in the water and swum them down (to deflate the air bladder) when they were accidently hooked. Many anglers have the same passion towards the environment we do... too bad the bad eggs spoil the good that others do.

$75 fine!?! I got a $160 fine just for talking on my cell phone!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom