Two diving days in Kona - what to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you dive at Point of Refuge, start early cause by afternoon the waters will be packed with snorkelers.

If you dive at Puako be careful to mark you entrance point with smth like bright T-shirt hanging on a tree, cause you may have problems finding your exit spot after the dive, and the beach looks all the same, especially at the "church" site.

It is also very interesting to snorkel by the Capt Cook's monument (you can get there either by renting a kayak or by hiking down the dirt trail) but again, start early cause there will be a hundred of snorkelers brought in by boats soon. Other excelent points for snorkeling are the shallow bay by the Outrigger (forgot what its native name is) and the "69" beach close to Puako.

Thanks all!

We're booked on the trip now, staying up at the Marriott. We'll probably do a two tank morning the day after we arrive, manta eve/night (four tanks that day), then another two tank morning the next day. That way if we wanted to venture up some elevation the next afternoon, we've got 24hrs out of the water.

OK - Dive op opinions- fire away!!

Wanna Dive, Kona Honu are the two I've heard good things about. Small fast boats, but the wife and son will be with us as snorkelers on the Manta eve.

I was just in Kona and did 2 days with Kona Honu and one with Kohala Divers. Nothing but good things to say about both ops. Kohala Divers goes up north from Kawaihae andd the coral there is just stunning, even in comparison to Kona.

I can't say anything bad about any of the dive ops Kona has to offer, but I would like to put in an extra good word for Kona Diving Company. Their hospitality knows no limits from the owners down to the divemasters. They are fairly new but have been making a...ahem...splash. I haven't heard from anyone who has regretted diving with them yet.

Another great dive operation in Kona is Big Island Divers. Nothing but great things to say about them as well.

We did our diving over Christmas with Jack's Diving Locker. The kids got certified there as well. We were very pleased with the operation. Planning to go back for the kids to get their AOW and requesting same instructor, Matt .
The staff were all helpful and they are thorough with their safety. People with computers were allowed to dive their profile/air. No computer- go by dive tables.
We did a shore dive with them as well at Two Step, really enjoyed that! Manta Ray dive was busy with 17 rays. We were one of the last groups in the water, which meant that when we left the site, the Mantas followed us and our lights! It was quite fun!

My favorite place to stay is The Fairmont Orchid. Beautiful, peaceful resort. Jack's Diving Locker is great-especially for the Manta Dive. Also, try Kohala Divers. Small operation and awesome, helpful staff.

If you're staying in Waikoloa (and even if you're not) check out Blue Wilderness Dive Adventures in the Waikoloa Queen Plaza. Really friendly folks, Small boat, Dive your air, Caves, Lava tubes, can shore dive, night dive, etc. Great prices too! I would make the drive to Kona for the Mantas, since they do them every night, the chances are much better of seeing some!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom