two divers, one computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alicatfish

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My dive buddy and I, new to diving, are trying to figure out whether we can safely get away one dive computer between the two of us. When we go on guided dives we don't have a computer and rely on the guide's computer. However, we were told by the guides that we each need our own computer. If we're diving together and the person wearing the computer is below the one not wearing the computer, then why is it necessary for both to wear one?

Advice and expertise appreciated.

ok, I searched and found the answers. :) Now, if I could figure out a way to delete this unessessary thread, I would.

*Since I was writing a response while you were finding the answers, I'll go ahead and leave it. lol I'm sure others have various responses that provide varying reasons to share or not share. It's a good thread since it will benefit others as well to read the various opinions.*

It sounds awfully restrictive to make the one wearing the computer be below the one not wearing the computer on every dive (since multiple dives is where they really pay off). The reasoning behind having your own computer is that you and your buddy won't dive the same exact profile, and it's unlikely one will stay below the other the entire time. That being said, I hear what you're saying about following the guide's computer (though the guide is likely to dive conservatively since the guide also will not be below all other divers all the time).

Is it safe to share a computer while making conservative dive profiles? Probably. But why not see if your LDS rents computers? That way you also have more protection if one of the computers fails for some reason (low battery, etc.). You can dive without an octopus and still share air, but it provides added safety. Having each diver use their own computer is somewhat similar. It's just all around safer...especially if you're doing multiple dives and getting anywhere near NDLs.

Or you could always use tables! :)

~Jess "doesn't own a dive computer" H.

In basic open water we were taught that it is not a good idea to use anothers computer. Are there agencies or instructors that do not teach this? Reasons include not staying at same depth, what happens if you decide to do a morning shore dive and your buddy skips it but he has the comp and you both decide to do one an hour later. Are you still going to do the dive according to his comp? You still may have excess nitrogen to account for but he does not. Either get your own or dive tables. And why would you blindly follow a guides computer? This makes no sense. If his comp craps out he's probably got back up tables to allow him to continue working, I know I do. But you having no comp are done for at least 6 hours or maybe the day since you are relying on someone else for your safety. This sport is about self reliance no matter what other people and the agencies say. If you are unable to take responsibility for your own profiles and safety, or unwilling to, then this may not be the sport for you.

yes people dive off other's computers, is it recomended, no. Every diver should have their own computer, and if you don't have a computer than you should be diving off the tables. COmputers are definetly worthy investments especially if you start making repetitive dives.

JimLap:
Are there agencies or instructors that do not teach this?

Sadly there are.

I'm personally grateful that my instructor amplified the fact that you should not dive your buddys computer yet i have a friend who didnt have this point expressed to them during their OW. We both were certified with the same agency:wink:

I guess that on one side of the bin you should take responsibility for your own/your buddys safety. On the other hand, i can see why some people are none the wiser as i would imagine that there are some instructors who do not mention this point during classes let alone explain why.

Scotty

For someone to come away from a class at any level not knowing that each diver must be self-sufficient and cannot ever share life support equipment is inexcusable. If a diver doesn't have a computer, then he/she MUST be diving using a set of tables and a bottom timer. Should have that even with a computer in case the computer fails.

Might as well just have one tank between you - heck your buddy has an octo that they never use and without a tank you'll be faster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom