Two divers at towneck beach almost became chopped salad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a flag sewn onto my SMB. If I need to surface before the dive is over I deploy the SMB.

I like this idea and think I will use it. I always carry a smb anyways so might as well attach a flag to it. I can't stand pulling a flag around.

I like this idea and think I will use it. I always carry a smb anyways so might as well attach a flag to it. I can't stand pulling a flag around.

Check your state regs, some states require a stiffener for the flag. If you find something that can roll up and still pass as a stiffener please let me know.

I had a cobbler glue and sew it to the SMB. Make sure they understand they can’t sew to the bladder only to the seam. There was a $15.00 min charge. I also have 2 1oz sinkers JB welded together and secured to the bottom of the SMB to make it a little bottom heavy.

Once in a while the DEM are checking divers on the way IN. That’s when I act dumber than normal and start pulling out the SMB and reel from the pocket while mumbling I was going to take it out in the water. They just let me go, PITA to roll it up and secure it u/w but good practice I guess.

I actually used it last summer, for real. Got way off course and knew I was in the channel but since I was following my compass I didn’t trust it or myself at that point and had to ascend to take a bearing and check it with my back up compass. I'm glad I had it.

Florida has a dive flag requirement. 3 years ago, off Delray, my flag and I were run over by a center console rushing in for a fish weigh in during a summer squall. Luckily, my injuries were minor, could have been much worse. I've always been careful, even more careful since then

Florida has a dive flag requirement. 3 years ago, off Delray, my flag and I were run over by a center console rushing in for a fish weigh in during a summer squall. Luckily, my injuries were minor, could have been much worse. I've always been careful, even more careful since then

Hopefully, they caught, charged, fined, and put the jackass in jail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom