Two die trapped in wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigerman:
I guess its just too tempting to go there and they give in?
Deepest sympathy first to family and friends. Going in when you should not: My cave Inst called them "Sirens." Like the voices from Greek myth that beckoned sailors in the night to crash ships onto rocky shores.

genxweb:
Sad yes, preventable yes. A simple 50 + dollar investment in a wreck reel could of saved their lives.

Agreed, but please add formal training into the equation.

Very sad indeed....and in a month there will be another one...TS&M you said about them hammering into your head how dangerous it was to go into overhead environments, but people dont listen.....I routinely have people come into my shop that we just certified going down to 100+ feet thinking that everything will be OK, or penetrating wrecks with absolutely no experience or equipment to do so....I give them the same lecture, and bring up the deaths from around the world that pop up on here...

They never listen and until people really learn that this is a dangerous sport and they cant learn "Everything" from experience or by being in the water 10-15 times....there will be more deaths popping up every month....and every month my heart will go out to the families as it really is sad and a waste of life

My advice....PLEASE GET PROPER TRAINING OR STAY WITHIN YOUR LIMITS.....It really could be your last dive!!!!!

Again my heart goes out to the families in this troubling time

Is there such a thing as having so much experience that it can become dangerous? I've been diving a long time maybe making me at times over confident, but with all the incidents that have taken place at my diving hole, Gilboa Quarry in NW Ohio, I've totally changed my attitude. I used to dive the deep side of that quarry (120 ft.+) all the time without a redundant system. no more. Also, because these incidents have happended to experienced divers, I now take every dive seriously whether it's 30' or 130'.

genxweb:
Sad yes, preventable yes. A simple 50 + dollar investment in a wreck reel could of saved their lives.

Assuming of course that they had the training on how to use it.

^^ Many people get complacent after diving a lot, and complacency kills.

Also, remember that "experience" and "qualified" aren't the same. Someone can have a lot of dives, and still be a bad diver.

Every time I meet a new diver, among the first things I tell them is to visit THIS forum, and read every thread they can. It wasn't until I started regularly reading this forum that I realized just how dangerous diving can be -- and how preventable most diving accidents/fatalities really are. It is by reading the reports of incidents in here that I gained an understanding of the types of things that contribute to most diving mishaps -- lack of training, exceeding one's limits, sloppy practices, not following proper procedure (i.e. buddy checks, or using a line when penetrating), the cascade of things that can go wrong once the first thing goes wrong, etc.

I truly believe this forum is the best tool out there for preventing diving deaths, and I'd be willing to bet that it has saved more lives than can ever be counted. (Maybe mine among them!)

I intend to continue to send every new diver I meet over hear to read, and I encourage everyone else to do so as well.

Training in OW by good instructors teaches you to be aware, be safe, and get training prior to cave or overhead diving along with using the right equipment. How sad for the family and friends of the divers. I am assuming they had the training or experience but it makes me wonder why they did not use the proper equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom