two D rings instead of one.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's the video I was thinking of. Previously posted here by @happy-diver

Using double enders instead of bolt snaps but same idea
I actually spoke to Tomasz about that video. He says he regrets posting it. Anyone interested, feel free to reach out to him on FB. He's a super nice guy and very approachable.

I'll chime in as the only person who does something like this. I primarily dive steels, but on my al80's I have a second boltsnap on, and this is important, BUNGEE cord. It's fairly light, just enough to keep the tanks where they are supposed to be during the dive. I have tried sliding d-rings and reclipping, and prefer this method for open water wreck diving. Does it complicate donning and doffing? Once the muscle memory is developed it adds very little, just like reclipping to a lower dring would during a dive. It's on a light bungee, so the bungee clips in first and then the main lower boltsnap.

It's an option. Is it the best option? No. Is it the best option for me? Yes. I advise trying everything then deciding what is most natural.

Sice you mentioned open water wrecks.
How does the second bolt snap affect detaching for restrictions?

And I didn't understand is the primary boltstnap paracord or bungee?

Sice you mentioned open water wrecks.
How does the second bolt snap affect detaching for restrictions?

And I didn't understand is the primary boltstnap paracord or bungee?
The primary lower is paracord or whatever your rope of choice is. The second lower boltsnap that clips onto your forward waist dring is light bungee.

I do not yet do technical wreck penetration; I only do restrictions that require winging out a tank in the safety of a training area, so keep that in mind. Furthermore, any real penetration I would do would be with steels. al80's are training and recreational tanks for me. That said, I train with both types, and having an additional boltsnap to detach and reattach adds about 10 seconds to the process. That's about it. I slide my arms between the tank and my body, unclip the bungee, and then proceed as normal. Note that if you have a slimmer build and thus very short lower leashes this will likely not work for you. As I said before, this works well for me.

I'll chime in as the only person who does something like this. I primarily dive steels, but on my al80's I have a second boltsnap on, and this is important, BUNGEE cord. It's fairly light, just enough to keep the tanks where they are supposed to be during the dive. I have tried sliding d-rings and reclipping, and prefer this method for open water wreck diving. Does it complicate donning and doffing? Once the muscle memory is developed it adds very little, just like reclipping to a lower dring would during a dive. It's on a light bungee, so the bungee clips in first and then the main lower boltsnap.
If it's clipping effort, one might consider different bolt-snaps or double-enders.

I haven't exactly perfected this yet, but bigger bolt-snaps, or ones with a longer "switch" seem to help.

(I don't struggle much with the tank-clips, but the butt-pouch-clips I had to replace with these)

It's an option. Is it the best option? No. Is it the best option for me? Yes. I advise trying everything then deciding what is most natural.
Precisely. Might as well experiment a little.

Why does he say he regrets posting it?
That's a conversation from before my daughter was born so over 3 years. I don't remember and it'd be hard to dig up. He is very approachable however if people want to contact him and ask that question and any others that they might have

Do you mind sharing a photo?

yes, looked like it worked pretty good. The tanks never moved up or down, no matter how much gas is in the cylinder.
I like having one attachment point, it makes it nice and easy to clip and unclip the tank. With two attachment points, it's just more to mess with when entering and exiting a dive, and complicates unclipping during a dive, which does occur from time to time. I just use two D rings and reclip at about 2200 PSI (Al80s). It takes 5 seconds once you get good at it.

It's an interesting idea, but for me it wouldn't solve a problem because there is no existing problem. I bet the sliding D ring folks feel the same way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom