Twinsets - same model regulator or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stargost

Contributor
Reaction score
Here's a similar question though. When setting up doubles does one use two similar first stage regulators or two different models from different manufacturers with different performance outputs? Why/why not?

I've been about to ask this question on separate post. I dont think people are using different reg, while indeed, this could be seen as further redundancy (different brand, different first stage like piston / diaphragm). Maybe it is not good looking.

Good idea. I don't think it is entirely the same question (different considerations), but it sounds like an interesting discussion topic nonetheless.

Following the posts about dive computer redundancy, the different reg (brand / piston vs diaphragm) for double tanks showed up.

What do you think ? Use same regs because it looks better, or any benefit / drawback of using 2 different regulators for primary and backup in case of doubles ?

Looks shouldn't enter into the equation, unless your worried about an open casket.

I use the same regulators:
Same maintence schedule
Same costs
Same breathing feel

A downside is they have the same potential "weaknesses"

There are plenty of valid reasons for or against.

Looks certainly enter in to it!

Rule 6: Always look cool :crafty:

For my doubles setup I use a pair of MK25 first stages and a pair of S600 second stages.

As for why ... well, I got a good deal on 'em at a close-out sale ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Looks, in the box and use what you have. 90 deg firsts. Bottom Lp port is great. I use old Poseidons and Mk 10s with a mish mash of seconds. Looks.

I am leaning towards two of the same on my doubles. Up till now I have had different regs and it presents a problem with service. I have a poseiden odin jetstream, a Mares M42T with a proton metal and a scubapro MK25 with a G250V. I have to take them to different places to be serviced and it is a pain. I recently got a good deal on the new Haycon (mk 25 with a blue cover) and am waiting for that to arrive. That will give me two (scubapro ) regs and hopefully make service life easier. It also makes hose routing more consistant and I will be able to rotate the regs and get equal use on them.

I dont dive doubles yet but I have enough regs for 2 double's set's. BUt when I do go to doubles. I will be using my Atomic Sealed M1 on one side. And my Scubapro MK17/G250v on other side. I dive cold waters on the northeast and have a little more faith in my MK17/G250v as it is a true sealed reg as compared to Atomics Sealed piston. I have yet had the Atomic free flow and have been in waters down to 40F. I do have 2 sets of the M1's But that would be my choice. Both are great reg's great breathers.

I have seen divers use different reg setups just because that's what they have at the time. I believe that most Tec guys end up going with the same regs because they want the same performance and breath-ability with which ever one they are using at depth. There is also the cool looking factor...LOL. From a service stand point if you have the same regs then you can bring it to one shop and on the same cycle.

I ended up getting two new regs for my set of doubles...Flathead VI. My single tank set-up has a yoke valve while my doubles are DIN. So going to two DIN reg set-up made sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom