Twinsets - same model regulator or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right post Dive Rite
Left post Zeagle
Non oxygen deco Aqua Lung Titan
Oxygen Oceanic Alpha 7

Randy

I currently dive a SP Mk2 and a SP Mk17 because that's what I've got. I need another reg so I am in the market for a second Mk17 but to be honest I have never had either freeflow (uncontrollably) down to 39*F and both breath well. I really don't like the hose routing of the Mk2 for my twinset though.

I am pleasantly surprised by the answers and thank all for their honesty :D

I use 2 Hog regs on my doubles setup because I got a good deal on them. But I do have a pair of MK17s that I originally wanted to run as my doubles setup and could. Its more about uniformity in my kit for me, since in a failure situation I don't want my equipment befuddling me.

Peace,
Greg

Before I could afford my second MK25/S600, I had my first MK25/S600 & a Sherwood Oasis on my doubles. I used the MK25 as the primary & the Oasis as the secondary. The Sp definately breathed better, but the Oasis was OK..... in its own right. The worst part of it is that it looked rather dorky:dork2::shakehead: & that Oasis 1st stage was a PITA to get the DIN to thread at times. The "coolness" factor:cool2: of having matching regs is certainly something to consider.:D

Looks, in the box and use what you have. 90 deg firsts. Bottom Lp port is great. I use old Poseidons and Mk 10s with a mish mash of seconds. Looks.

haha, if your location was not Melbourne I would think this is my friend posting, he has a zoo of regulators that migrate from the doubles to the stages and back. Poseidons, Apekses, Aqualungs, Marese, sherwoods , you name it :D You will not find the same make label on all of his doubles stages, the 1st can be Apeks and the second -sherwood :)

I use the same regs (Zeagle DSV/ZX) because it was just easy to buy two at once, had the money, got a good deal and also symmetry is nice :) I would not have been concerned at using different types and I have done this on numerous occasions on twins in the past when I was in my 'beg, borrowing and stealing' gear stage when I didn't have my own. I do have another set of regs but I kept them for my single tank diving now, rather than buy another set to use with my twinset (they are Scubapro, not a fan of SP these days).

I use the same regs (Zeagle DSV/ZX) because it was just easy to buy two at once, had the money, got a good deal and also symmetry is nice :) I would not have been concerned at using different types and I have done this on numerous occasions on twins in the past when I was in my 'beg, borrowing and stealing' gear stage when I didn't have my own. I do have another set of regs but I kept them for my single tank diving now, rather than buy another set to use with my twinset (they are Scubapro, not a fan of SP these days).

Howdy, been lookin to get regs... (well technicaly ive been looking for everything including the damn BC still) Theres a local place but the majority of there stuff is scuba pro. May I ask why your not a SP fan? Did something happen, or is it merely personal preference? Sorry, just wondering.

Mix, match, whatever ... it really doesn't matter. There are no fashion police underwater.

Howdy, been lookin to get regs... (well technicaly ive been looking for everything including the damn BC still) Theres a local place but the majority of there stuff is scuba pro. May I ask why your not a SP fan? Did something happen, or is it merely personal preference? Sorry, just wondering.

Regs work fine (I have MK17/S555 + R295), great actually, just dislike their warranty and servicing policy (it may be different in other regions). Servicing them costs an arm and a leg and you can only take it to an 'authorised Scubapro repairperson'. I also think they are really overpriced when you can get equally good regs for much cheaper. Parts are not covered where I live and I think the requirement to service them yearly or you lose the warranty is overkill (my warranty is long gone by now!). I got Zeagle partly because service kits are available cheaply from the place I got them from and also I am hoping to do a reg servicing course through there at some stage too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom