Twinset regulator recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never used the Atomics, everyone I know who has them is very happy. I don't recall hearing any complaints about them and consider them top notch. I own and have used both HOG and Apeks so I will comment on those.

I've replaced my primary HOG reg sets with Apeks DST/XTX50's for my doubles. The Apeks have been rock solid. I'm still using the HOG 1st stages for stage/deco bottles and have been replacing the 2nd stages on those sets with XTX50's. On the HOG 1st stages other than the din nuts coming loose quite frequently (yes, properly torqued) and the din O-rings constantly falling out, they have been very reliable and good to me over hundreds of tech and cave dives in waters down to the mid 30*s F. The 2nd stages are more finicky and I find I need to retune them every couple of months, around every ~40 dives or so. I know several other divers who've had the same issues with the din nuts and the O-rings. And I've seen a few peoples whose D1's main body became loose near the environmental seal (no idea why).

I have 4 sets, 3 D1 and 1 D3. For what I paid I've been pleased with them and feel I got my moneys worth, however I'm tired of having to look for and replace the din O-rings that seem to fall out at every other fill then having to repeatedly retighten the din nuts. So for now they have become backups/ stage regs. The 2nds are all getting replaced. I find the XTX50's 2nds hold their tune and the adjustment knob covers a wider range, which is really nice when scootering or dealing with flow.

My opinion is the HOG's are a great deal and breath fine. If you dive excessively, then the little issues I've mentioned may start to wear on you. The Apeks I feel breath slightly more consistently and have been rock solid for me so far. They cost twice as much as the HOGs. The HOG's are still out there new for a D1 w/ 2nd stage for $180, that's less than one XTX50 second stage alone. You have to decide what works best for your needs and budget.

Hi All,

For Aqualung and Apeks, Whatever I live in Asia, I am French so I know their common history already :wink: If I was going to Aqualung, it would be only because I can have full training and good price on them :p
Also, on some Apeks documentation the DST is referenced as DST4, thsi is why I used this terminology.
For B2 in cold dive, yes can work also. But anyway, Atomic is more than twice the price for a twinset. If price was closer or if perf were twice better with Atomic, I would go for sure for their products.
In light of this, I think I will contact HOG to check with them how to receive training on their regs while being in a country without any reseller. If I can get the it, I think I will order D3/Zenith twinset, Staging D1/Classic and O2 D1/Classic from Cave Adventurers enough spare parts kit to service all of them at least once each. This will cost me just a little bit more than the price of an Apeks DST/XTX50 twinset alone and much less than an Atomic M1 twinset alone.
If HOG Zenith breathing effort is in par with Apeks XTX50, and HOG products are as reliable as Apeks, I think HOG will be the choice for me :D

On a funny notice, I checked Ocean Diver Supply and that's interesting to see they also produce the Scubapro MK25 :wink:

Hi All,

Just wanted give a fresh update. As I already have B2 second stage, I will finally stay with Atomic regs.
The setup will be has below:
- Z2 Sealed first stage (7-port without swivel) on both sides
- B2 second stage on the long hose
- Z2 second stage on the necklace

This setup will be the best value for money for us (my spouse will have the same setup as me as she also own a B2 second right now).
We tried the HOG Zenith a few weeks ago and - whatever they are both good regs - either Apeks or HOG can't compete on the WOB ease you have with Atomic (maybe only the Scubapro S600 can compare in my experience). This really made the difference for us.

Thanks again for all your help :)

You must get one thing straight first. There not called twins. There Doubles.
Dulies go on your truck twins are what you want to F%=÷ doubles are what you dive.

You must get one thing straight first. There not called twins. There Doubles.
Dulies go on your truck twins are what you want to F%=÷ doubles are what you dive.

are you familiar with terms outside of North America? The brits have always referred to doubles as twinsets, independent twins etc. Doubles isn't a term used over there. It is also spelled dually which is the plural of dual, if we're trying to be formal with the language.

Mortem, don't make those statements regarding WOB because they couldn't be farther from the truth. You may have a well tuned Atomic set and are trying other brands out of the box, or that haven't been matched together. You can make any of the brands you mentioned breathe just as well as any Atomic if you know what you're doing when you tune them.

Hi Tbone1004,

Good point regarding WOB, but I used well tuned Apeks XTX50, very smooth, etc... I also used Tek3 kit, ATX 200, etc... still very good product but Atomic is a bit smoother and less noizy when breathing.
Only think that compared with the Atomic breathing perfomance was a Scubapro S600 in my experience. So yes XTX50 is very great product (this is why I included it in my original selection) but Atomic is a little bit better for me. Not to mention Atomic is also a bit lighter and smaller.
But I understand that each of us can have personal preference and that's a good think as it allow us to benefit of manufacturers' competition, new products and improvment.

To fullytek: sorry, but:
- I am not American, so why should I use US terminology?
- If you want be specific, shouldn't you call this a "Backmount Double"?
- Why should I just US terminology in scuba diving when you know it was invented by a French man?

Please accept that people can come from different country with different way to call things. You say subway, Asians say MRT and Europeans say Metro (or Metropolitain), etc...
As you seem to be a technical diver, and if we follow your opinion, shouldn't you say "Plongee Technique" instead of technical diving as this terminology was originally coming from french language?

I have used all three: Apeks, Atomic and HOG. While I have no complain on HOG's performance, it is not on the same quality level as Apeks or Atomic in term of fit and finish, and the material used (plastics to be specific). If cost is not an issue, I would go with Apeks or Atomic. Otherwise HOG is just fine. I would still pick HOG over Hollis and Oceanic, which I also have used before.

Thanks for your feedback. I still think about HOG for staging :)

Back
Top Bottom