Twinset regulator recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mortem

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I am planning to buy a pair of regulator to mount in twinset (and eventually sidemount in the future).
I am now wondering what would be the best option and what others use (as around me this is mostly Apeks all the way).
My main requirement is to have something very easy in term of WOB, can be maintained on site if necessary and reliable enough :wink:

So far, I am thinking about the following:
- Atomic M1
- Apeks DS4/XTX50
- HOG D3/Zenith

Rigth now, I own Atomic B2 and Apeks XTX50 for my single tank setup.
So far, I love Atomic product due to the breathing capability (but almost no support where I live). Apeks are not bad but not as good, imho. I never tried HOG but the fact that you are allowed to service them by yourself without a certification from the manufacturer looks interesting.

Can I know what others are using and what would be their recommandation?
My choice is not limited to those products but I would like more opinion to help me taking a decision.

Thanks a lot
:)

Personal preference, the XTX should breathe every bit as well as the atomic if set up right, but you can't go wrong with either. From Apeks I'd go DST over DS4 for twinsets. The nice thing about these 5 port turrets is if you are only diving singles in a wetsuit the only change you have to make from doubles is moving the primary regulator over to the left post. Nothing has to move except that hose which makes a very quick changeover. I'd go Hog if you can get parts over there, if not Apeks

Servicing Atomic regs is very easy and one can get parts fairly readily. I service my Atomic regs. Also easy to switch to DIN if not already converted. As you already have one I would suggest picking another. That said any of the regs will serve you well.

I've been using a set of Hog D1s for sidemount, including one of the reversible second stages, without incident. They would route nicely for BM too.

I never tried HOG but the fact that you are allowed to service them by yourself without a certification from the manufacturer looks interesting.

I don't think this is accurate. HOG makes it easier to do your own servicing than other manufacturers by offering training courses to any certified technical diver instead of having to work in the industry. And while parts may be available for purchase without showing certification, the same can be said for several other brands. It is certainly smarter to learn the proper service procedures than to hack away on your own. HOG makes this easier, but it is still a certification that should be obtained.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Hi All,

Thanks for your answers.
Yes, I know for HOG, you must be TDI Nitrox certified in order to be trained while for some other brands, it is more difficult. I try to contact Atomic distributor in Asia for months in order to be certified and I am not successful yet :/
I also know that maintaining regs is not that complex: I maintained and tuned regs (in another activity where we use regs with output pressure ranging from 60-1000 psi), either balanced and unbalanced, for more than 10 years and those kind of regs (used in hard environment) demanded intensive care in order to keep working properly.
I just would like avoid breaking the warranty if I am on a remote location and need to make a field maintenance.

For the Apeks, DS4 or DST4 is not a problem, so thanks for the precision.
But I used Apeks XTX50 1 year and when compared to Atomic B2, whatever it still breath very well, I feel Atomic is much more smooth (and less noisy).

How would compare HOG D3/Zenith with those?
Any other recommendation (other brands, etc...)? I never saw anybody talking about Aqualung in Tech Diving. is there a reason?

Thanks a lot for the help :)

Apeks, either the DS4 with 5th port conversion, or the Tec3. The latter is designed specifically for twins and is difficult to use of singles due to the port layout.

Hi All,
Rigth now, I own Atomic B2 and Apeks XTX50 for my single tank setup.

Which 1st stage do you already own?

I tested the Tek3. It looks nice but as you say, the port layout makes it difficult to use for other purpose, this is why I excluded it from my list.
To Evad, my existing first stage is an Apollo in Yoke that can't be converted. This is why I didn't mention about it for the setup.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom