Twin tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're going to double up tanks, then yes you really should use an isolating manifold.

Alternative is using side mount tanks and switching regulators.

Another alternative is to get a larger single tank, or carry a sling (bail out) bottle as an emergency reserve... sometimes called a pony bottle. Sometimes its strapped to the main tank, other times it's just sling under your arm.

If your profile is correct, you're only have a couple dozen dives under your belt. As you progress and get better, your air consumption will come down. I know mine did.

I went through all the issues with air consumption and figured I needed bigger tanks, double tanks, etc. Nope. What I needed to do is dive-dive-dive... get out there and practice. My air consumption went down about 20% after dive 50... and another after dive 100... and a bit more after dive 150 and 200...

If you're serious about getting more air, I'd go with a larger single tank. Not a pony bottle or sling bottle or doubles... simply a larger single tank like an HP120 or LP108 or something... it'll do 2 things... 1) give you more air available to you now and in the future; and 2) take some weight off your belt or out of your pockets as the larger tanks are heavier.

Good luck!

Independent doubles are a valid configuration especially if you don't want to commit to a set or multiple sets of manifolded doubles. It may be frowned upon for technical specialties like cave and wreck (others please comment) but are fine for extended range OW diving.

Added: Having seen the concurrent post of pickens_46929 and noting your newness to the sport I second his comments as well. Independent doubles are a valid configuration but doubles in any form probably should not be a priority a this stage.

Dive, Dive, Dive

Pete

I was going to switch to double but mostly for more air not for technical diving so do I realy need to manifold my tanks.

No you dont need a manifold, save the $300 for the valves and manifold for something else.

Of couse it does mean you need two regulators. You will probably eliminate the alternate second stages but each cylinder will need an SPG.

Is there any escaping bands? A plate with tandem cam straps seems possible but I have never seen such a rig.

Pete

Here are some I made for about $20.

Just get a larger single tank. At this point you may want more air. I was an air sucking dog early on and was tired of being the first one done with each dive as a newer diver.

As you progress, with practice, your air consumption WILL drop. However, you need a simple rig until you gain experience. Aside from the cost issues of needing a 2nd reg and SPG, it is just more stuff to go wrong at this point for you.

I went with a 130 (120 would have been better for doubling later). The 130 is now my backup for deepeer 2 dive trips and also the kids are using it as they learn (college age).

As everyone else has said,just get a bigger tank.

If you get doubles you will need another reg (or at least another first stage) ,bands and most likely a doubles wing/new BC.

Contrary to common belief, you don't need to go full Tech to dive doubles. More air is a very valid use for doubles.

You don't need an isolator manifold. (actually, many divers, including Tech Divers, feel that a non-isolated manifold is safer due to less failure points and less chance of operator error)

Thermo and most other valve manufacturers make non-isolated crossover manifolds. If your manifold has two regulator fittings, you don't have to have two regulators, but you must rinse and blow the water out of the unused fitting after each dive.

You can often find older double manifolds on ebay that have only one regulator fitting.

While you can dive independant doubles, I prefer not to have to change regulators during a dive.

Personally, I MUCH PREFER multiple smaller tanks over a single large tank. The lower profile is much easier to dive with and to carry. Most of my sport diving is double or triple 40s. Double 5.5" diameter tanks are very common in Europe.

hey bear, I'm originally from N. Jersey. If u wanna stay at Dutch a large single is fine. If youre out here in the big pool now work your way up to doubles. I was divin a single last year and the wrecks are awesome in jersey, you really have to work, its not just site seeing like the caribeans.

Back
Top Bottom