Twin set regulator suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buffalo

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am looking for a good set of twin set regs. I have been doing loads of research on reviews and the differences between them. It seems there is a strong force for the Apeks tek3 xtx50/100/200. But I’m not a huge fan of the hose routing on the tek3. It seems like there’s a good amount of hose bending. I’m interested in what the good people of SB think of halcyon h-75p halo twin set. I’ve also read that dive rite makes a good set. I’ve even gone as far and thinking about getting two Hollis 200LX DCX and using them.

I’ve looked at atomic and hog sets as well. While I know they make quality regs, I’m just not a fan.

Background: I have recently started to get more serious about diving. I am looking to get into tech/wreck diving in the near future, And eventually progressing to caves

I welcome all opinions, suggestions, reviews, and testimonials.

I would say Halcyon has a great double reg set via Extreme Exposure or your could go with Scubapro MK 25’s. It’s up to you—but buying them as a doubles set would be the best choice.

If you go with a first stage that has a 5th port and spinning turret you will future proof yourself for sidemount.

Scubapro mk25, apeks dst, deep six, hog d3, etc...

The Tek3 first stages point the hoses downward, which puts a great strain on some of the hose routing, very similar to an Apeks DS4 first stage. If you have affnity to the Apeks brand, the DST first stage with the 5th port is the better, and certainly a more versatile, alternative. Halcyon regulators are rebranded Scubparo regulators. Unless, Halcyon prices them aggresively, I don't see a point in buying them and would just go with the Scubapros.

Don't disregard the Deep Six and Hog offerings. I've breathed off the original Hog D1s. They are very nice and on par with Scubapros, Apeks or my Atomics. A member of the dive club, to which I belong, uses Deep Six has been extremely happy with them.

I don't think you'll notice a difference in performance between the brands. Hose routing, ergonomics, ease of service, and cost of service should probably be your deciding factors.

@Buffalo can't stand Tek3's, but the DST's are fine. You would need to get 5th ports.
As an FYI, HOG, Dive Rite, and Hollis are all coming out of Taiwan so if that's the reason you're avoiding one vs. the others, just know that they are all OEM'd by other companies. Halcyon's are made by Scubapro, but you are going to pay for them.
What's your aversion to Atomic? I'm not a huge fan of them, but curious to see people actively avoiding them.

Have you looked at Deep6 Signatures regs yet? Lowest total cost of ownership, ability to self service *which you don't have with Atomic, Hollis, Apeks, or Halcyon*, has a manufacturer offered repair course *no one except Poseidon, HOG, or Deep6 offer those*, and are really high quality regs. They have the advantage of being a sealed diaphragm design which makes the soaking/rinsing process infinitely better than with piston regs for ocean diving as well.

Here's one way to route HOG D1 regulator hoses.......or Apeks DSTs (after you buy 2 fifth ports).
20190402_085433.jpg

I have HOG D1 as a set for backmount and D3 for sidemount, but have been diving mostly Dive Rite XT for SM and CCR bailout.

you have several good options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom