Twin or Stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunkarm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dear Divers,

I am currently diving in the tropical paradise of Indonesia. I use to dive in New Zealand and i was using 123 CU Faber Steel tank. But then again i was using a 5mm drysuit. Now In here, that kind of tank could not be found at all and also i am diving in a Lycra swimsuit. So i have to dive with the less air AL80. I was thnking of rigging into double 80AL but getting the double cambands such as AquaExplorer is difficult down here and too costly as well. Then i started to think about using stage/swing bottle 80AL on the sides of my BCD. I have never done double nor swing/stage. Can any of u expereinced diver suggest which is better for me to do? Can u u also use 80AL as pony Bottle?

Thanks again divers

I have never dives doubles or anything larger than a 3L pony bottle with my 15L faber (123cf). But I think you would find a 80Cf AL sling a right pain.
You would be better off doubling them up or try importing a 15l steel, just make sure it can be certifyed there first.
Have you notice a drop in your SAC from diving NZ to Indo?

Dear Packhorse,

Thanks for your information. I never really pay attention to my sac. But i do know that i have less air time up here.

I personally would not use a pony bottle to extend my time. That said OMS has a kit that you can use to double up two tanks. Here is a link to OMS. It gives you two independent doubles which I think is your best option once you understand the nuances of independent doubles. Which there is discussion on these types of bands in this thread

There's nothing wrong with having 1/2 your gas on your back and half at your side. The independent twins option is essentially the same as slinging one bottle, the only thing that changes is the location of the tank. The only time I've found slung bottles to be a pain is on the surface. Now, two 80s slung on the same side aren't that comfortable but fortunately I've only done it a few times.

Back
Top Bottom