Twin Lakes have you heard anything?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jstuart1

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything about when TL may be open again? I sure miss diving and now that I finally have my dry suit I would like to be out there.

Last time I talked to anyone there they said after the first of the year. I drive by the place each day, and the truck traffic dumping dirt there has increased. They've even got a crew out sweeping Hwy 6 each day. I'll try to stop by today or tomorrow and see what I can find out.

Thanks for the info Ebj. Wonder what they are doing with all that dirt?

Thanks, Ernie. Are they completely filling in the little lake? I remember Mike saying he was thinking about it.

If he does that, it won't be Twins anymore!!!

Went to TL today and talked to Mike. He thinks that he will be opening in about two weeks. Should be caught up with spreading dirt with dozer by that time. Still a lot of truck traffic today.The area around the non diving lake is being filled in and leveled. Good news is that the vis in the diving lake looked super from the bank. Could see the bottom just fine at about ten to fifteen feet.

Two things I want to see before I dive there again.

1) proof that the water is safe to dive/swim in.

2) reasonable explanation for the dirt and where it came from.

I just talked to Mike on the phone.

He's been talking about filling in the small lake for a couple of years but it was a costly project, especially the heavy equipment to move it around, that he just couldn't afford. Now that they are digging retention ponds for a subdivision across the street from the lake, he has the chance to get the dirt he needed free of charge and they will dump it where he needs it. He hopes to be able to open the lake in a couple of weeks, although it may only be on Sundays when the dump trucks aren't running since they may not be through dumping by then.

As for the rumors of bad water quality, a test was done a while back that was borderline but still safe. He was told he didn't need to close the lake. He's concerned about this rumor and will have another water test done before re-opening the lake.

Mike's never been anything but accommodating to the divers so let's give him the benefit of the doubt that he'll have the lake up and running soon with everyone's health and best wishes in mind.

I would want to see proof of good water test results also.

I talked to someone who actually got sick there and they ran their own water test. It was over the limit on fecal chloroform. That was when Twin Lakes got shut down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom