Twin-Jet In Current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Markho71

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys ... just got back from Cayman Brac. While there, I got caught in some fairly strong current. My twin-jets kept me fairly stationary at max kick, but wouldn't move me forward into the current as much as i had hoped. Is this just a characteristic of the split-fin design? Should I change to blades?

I wouldn't blame the split fin design exclusively, as the same thing can happen with soft non split fins.

However, if you're limited by your fins and not by your legs - yes, get broader / stiffer / more powerful fins... (The same way you'd get better skis or a stronger racket when you're ready for them).

Yes it is, sorry to say they are junk, that is why you could not keep up with the other divers. I dive in very strong current in Michigan and split fins do not cut it.I bought a pair of Apollos a couple years back, needless to say they did not work out.

Funny, because I've dumped the paddles to go with Twin Jets. More ability to swim into currents. And I might note that with doubles, deco bottle and dry suit I'm not slowing down either. And yes, I never did like the "floppy" feel to those Apollo fins either.

BUT, I have to say that I had to relearn how to get the most out of the fins. A variation of kick is required. Unlike paddle fins, you have to kick the same way as you would when swimming laps in a pool without fins, not the same deliberate strokes that you are used to with paddle fins.

Now that said, like much equipment it may not suit your kicking cycle or legs, as I don't believe in a "one size fits all" approach to anything.

I just love it when someone decide categorically that something has no merit or value. I'm sure it always comes from a broad review of the various products in a controlled environment while factoring out other variables and then ensuring that the results are repeatable.

Yeah, so if they're a size L, I'd DEFINITELY get rid of 'em! Let me know, I'll help you out in takin' 'em off your hands:D

if you couldn't make headway into the current it wasn't your fins fault, although those aren't the best fins out there, they aren't the worst either.

Mayhbe it's my kick style. I'd still like to try some blades for compairison.

Different fins for differnt purposes. A solid stiff fin or a turtle paddle fin is what you should use when diving in currents.

Different fins for differnt purposes. A solid stiff fin or a turtle paddle fin is what you should use when diving in currents.

that is one of the least educated things I have read on here. I really would expect that someone certified as a "divecon" would be smarter than that.

yes, certain styles of fins work or fail to work best for specific things, stiff fins like turtles are quite good for tight space work were everything except speed is required, they suck in straight line speed and endurance that is required to overcome a stiff current. It has been shown time and time again, that moderately flexible fins are faster and better for endurance that stiff blades.

speed- yes there are the rare times that speed is important, overcoming a current is a poor excuse for needing speed as you should plan your dive and dive your plan. planning a dive that you have to overcome a current is poor planning.

But... I don't care what fins your wearing, if you don't have proper technique, proper conditioning, and match the fin to your style and fitness then you are wasting your money.

this means that you must try fins, lots of them, Fitting a fin is not as simple as "I wear a size 9", the fin must of course fit your foot, but that is only one of the criteria to finding the right fin for you. Some fins are great with a slow powerful kick, some with a high cadence lower power kick, some are better for a back kick or helicopter turn, some frog kick, some can actually scull. You must fin which fin works best with your personal set of skills, no testing or other opinions can make that decision for you, sure some people can tell you what they like or dislike about a fin, but then there are the "others" that appear to be helping you, but really have never actually tested all options and determined the good and the bad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom