Twin-engine planes or single tanks, which is better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reg Braithwaite

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The following is highly unqualified blather, posted for entertainment purposes only. You have been warned.

Most small planes you see have a single engine. Twin-engine planes are faster and offer some redundancy: if one engine quits, the pilot can continue to fly on the other engine. This can be handy if there isn't a safe place to land within the immediate glide radius of the aircraft.

Nevertheless, many pilots prefer single-engine planes, even when ignoring the sticker price difference. Two engines actually means twice the maintenance, and twice as many things to go wrong, cutting the Mean Time Between Failures substantially.

When something goes wrong in a single engine plane, the "self-rescue" is simple: put the plane on the ground immediately. It's true that there will be edge cases where that is difficult, such as in mountainous terrain. But overall, there is less for the pilot to think about and lower task loading. Loss of power? Shut the engine down, put the plane down now.

In a twin-engine, there's more to think about. If one engine cuts out, the pilot must shut it down. But wait... which engine's out? In the heat of the moment, pilots sometimes shut the working engine down.

If the shut the right engine out, the remaining engine offers a seductive illusion of security. Pilots sometimes fly right over a good landing zone looking for a better one, or perhaps thinking they can get to an airport on the remaining engine. Alas, sometimes the cause of failure to one engine is not independent of the other, and planes have been lost when the second engine quit shortly after the first one. If the pilot has passed up a good landing spot hoping for a perfect landing spot when the second engine quits, there may be serious consequences.

Remember the greater maintenance required for twin engine planes? Most pilots are fanatics for details like this. But they are also human, and from time to time someone will push things a little. Of course, there is scheduled maintenance and pilots all adhere to the schedule. But if a pilot feels something unusual or unsettling, there is the option of checking it out or shrugging it off.

When there's twice as much engine to inspect, twice as much work to do, and twice as much delay involved, some pilot become a little less conservative, meaning each of their two engines is actually less reliable than the average single-engine plane's engine. And they have two engines to go wrong.

For these three reasons--more complex task loading in an emergency, overconfidence stemming from having a redundant engine and lower overall reliability--many pilots shun twin-engine planes.

Say, this is a Scuba board, not a flying board. What say you about moving up from singles to singles + pony or doubles?

Interesting analogy!

Is a pony tank a second engine or a parachute?

As a aircraft mechanic and a former parachute rigger, I would call the pony a parachute.

Having taken flying lessons but never getting my license your analogy makes sense. I joked with my instructor one day that I wanted to take "That plane" (a twin engine) and he said "You don't even know how to start it." I'd seen enough on tv to know which engine to start first and I described how I would start the engines. He said, "You know just enough about that plane to get yourself killed." Naturally he was right, I could probably get it started and get it off the ground. Getting it back on the ground might even happen successfully (no bodily harm, minimal bending of airplane). Emergency? I'd probably buy the farm.

My husband views a pony bottle as a crutch. He seems to think people who use them are considering that gas to be part of their available gas for the dive therefore why not get a bigger tank instead. I know everyone who has a pony doesn't do this but some do. Keep in mind we don't generally dive with instabuddies so our buddy is available and competent in an OOA situation. Hubby doesn't like me diving doubles either, it's too easy to get in trouble with that much air available.

I guess the decision to abort a dive is similar to a flight as well. I was taking off one day when my instructor said "Did you hear that noise?" I said "Yes" and continued the take-off. He said, "Don't you think you should abort the take-off?" (Evidently this was a test, our runway was only 2500 feet long and 30 feet wide but had an 800 foot grass over-run for emergencies.) I said, "Because you closed the ashtray?" He said, "How do you know it wasn't something wrong with the engine?" (We're in the air now). "Because I sat in the back seat of my parents car and opened/closed the ashtray a million times and that's what that sound was." That coming from the person who aborted flights because 20 miles of visibility just wasn't enough for her :wink:

Sometimes we dive with known issues that we believe will not affect the safety of our dive while other times we abort dives just because we aren't happy with the way they "feel". Personally I'm comfortable with my single tank and diving within its limitations. I do not have enough skill with the doubles yet to dive them at depths where I'm comfortable in my single. I'm sure as time goes by the doubles will earn their place on more challenging dives but for now it's singles for me because it's what I have the most experience and am most comfortable with.
Ber :lilbunny:

Neither nor.

The scuba tanks are fuel tanks, the regulators are fuel pumps and the diver himself is both pilot and engine.

Now, how and where does a set of doubles fit in, and how does it compare to a pony?

For most small twin engine aircraft, the second engine is there to delay your arrival at the scene of the accident. In other words, many of them cannot maintain altitude on one engine and at best provide a false sense of security. So if you lose an engine in a twin engine airplane, you are going to have to land, sooner rather than later. With a single engine airplane, you land even sooner. Pilots train for this, they have checklists for this, and if they are cautious and safe pilots, they think about it all the time. So even before they apply power, they have told themselves what to do if an engine fails at any point in the takeoff roll or very soon thereafter. Enroute, a pilot should be looking for a field suitable for landing, all the time.

How this relates to diving can be argued, but a safe and cautious diver should always be thinking about what he/she would do in case of an equipment failure. Do we? I'll bet not. I'm usually looking for something to take a picture. I do, however make sure I know where my buddy is in case I need to use her air.

Doubling your equipment just increases your likelyhood of failure. Without going into mean time of failure probabilities, a single engine is plenty and a single tank and a good regulator are as well.

I don't really think your analogy is a good one. Flying and diving are not all that closely related, the failure modes and consequences are different as well. That is why you must have a real license/rating to fly airplanes or work on them and scuba diving requires nothing in point of fact.

N, A&P, IA, PP, Inst, Commercial

Interesting logic and conclusions.

Most small planes you see have a single engine. Twin-engine planes are faster....

What say you about moving up from singles to singles + pony or doubles?

Re: "Twin engine planes are faster...." I did not know that.

Re: "...moving up...?" Good idea.

Lets just hope SCUBA is never regulated by the CFR's

Flying and diving are not all that closely related, the failure modes and consequences are different as well. That is why you must have a real license/rating to fly airplanes or work on them and scuba diving requires nothing in point of fact.

I agree with this statement. If it were possible for me to swim my single tank into a populated area, killing dozens of people, there would be entirely different licensing requirements. Likewise, if a typical open circuit scuba setup allowed for passengers, people would have an entirely different view of the qualifications required to use the gear.

As long as the diver almost always bears the brunt of the consequences, there will be very little pressure to regulate the ability to purchase gear and go diving.

Back
Top Bottom