Twin Cave and Hole in the Wall 11-28-9 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hole typically turns in October and stays bad until sometime in May. Last year was the first time in long time that it didn't do that and conditions were good all year. I haven't been there in a few weeks, so I can't comment on whether this was diver related or not, but if it was in that much of the system, it sounds like this may be the beginning of the "stay out of Hole" season. :( Was there a difference in water temp between the murky water and the clear water?

Once in the cave, I didn't notice a difference in the water temp(the pond was a couple degrees colder). We dove to like 300'p upstream at most, not enough to see if it cleared up beyond. I'm fairly certain it was crap backwashing towards the entrance after some major jackassory. This was particulate, not tannic or milky water, creating the bad visibility.

Hole typically turns in October and stays bad until sometime in May. Last year was the first time in long time that it didn't do that and conditions were good all year. I haven't been there in a few weeks, so I can't comment on whether this was diver related or not, but if it was in that much of the system, it sounds like this may be the beginning of the "stay out of Hole" season. :( Was there a difference in water temp between the murky water and the clear water?

I did not notice a difference until we were out of the cavern.. There was a team that followed us out that said another team on scooters did cause a big silt screen.

In the early stages of turning, there is only a 2-3 degree difference, something you'll have to look at your computer to really see. If it's really turning, the water temperature will drop into the high 50s!

Diving wet, I can tell you when I hit a 2F difference in temperatures :) In a heartbeat! The coldwater my computer registered, was DEFINATELY in the pond.

My computer didn't show a difference in temperature in the lower viz. parts. I didn't notice a difference till we were doing our stop in the cavern entrance. In fact, since I was diving wet...when I came through the restriction coming back out...I got chilled big time till my body adjusted to the colder water. I agree with others...it appears that it was stirred silt and not just the cloudy water flushing through the system.

Oh yeah Rob, I got a video of the most memorable part of Hole In The Wall to me...I have fond memories of an instructor who shall remain nameless, teaching me the meaning of a sidemount trap!:wink: When I swam over that section I flashed it with my light and said through my regulator...SIDEMOUNT TRAP! I got warm fuzzies. :D

Last edited:
FWIW, the dive at Hole in the Wall was my 700th dive, I didn't even realize it till I logged it that night.

Holy Smokes 700 dives. You know you are not supposed to count the weekly baths you take....even if you do wear your mask and regulator in the tub. :D

FWIW, the dive at Hole in the Wall was my 700th dive, I didn't even realize it till I logged it that night.

Very cool.. Glad I was there.. Glen I wish you had video of Denise going through the top hole at twin. That was really impressive, funny too but impressive.

Back
Top Bottom